National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 406] Questions on ESOL Level Descriptors in NRS

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Mon Jul 17 07:58:46 EDT 2006

Good morning, afternoon, and evening to you all. I hope this email
finds you well.

I wanted to let everyone know that during this week, Larry Condelli from
AIR (American Institutes of Research), who works with the NRS, and Sarah
Young, from CAL (Center for Applied Linguistics) who works with BEST
Plus will be available to answer any questions you might have regarding
the changes in ESOL Level Descriptors, which go into effect this summer
(this month I believe). I also encourage anyone who has questions
regarding other ESOL tests (CASAS or EFF for example) to join in this
Q&A. Because the Level Descriptors have been adjusted, the tests used
to track learning gains also have undergone some shifting and it is
important that we understand what these changes are.

Larry and Sarah will be present on the List during this week, but
perhaps intermittently - replies may not come immediately. I encourage
you to post your question to the List, or to send your question to me
for posting, if you prefer that.

Larry, Sarah, and others working with any of the ESOL tests - feel free
to jump in and give us a thumbnail sketch of what the changes are and
how they might affect our work in programs and with students.

The NRS homepage is located at: http://www.nrsweb.org/
To view information on the NRS Level Descriptors, please go to:
http://www.nrsweb.org/reports/NewESLdescriptors.pdf
At the bottom of the NRS homepage, see also: NRS Changes for Program
Year 2006

Thanks so much - I'm looking forward to understanding this information,
and hearing what folks questions are regarding the changes.

Marie T. Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator
marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com