National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 374] Re: Math anxiety and assessment

Lisa Mullins lmullins89 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 09:14:33 EDT 2006

Hello Myrna and all,
I enjoyed the link you gave us yesterday. I am very
interested in the open-ended questions section. I
think it is a great guide for formulating open-ended
math questions.

One challenge I encounter when I provide open-ended
questions for my learners is being prepared for the
"out of the box" thinking. In other words, when a
learner thinks of the problem in a orginial way and
solves it correctly, I am left dumbfounded as to why
it worked. What should I do at that point?

Also, the learners often want a fast, set in stone,
rule to help them solve a problem. For example,
percentages can be calculated using a number of
stratgies. Some students want one good way to solve
percentages and they are confused if I provide
alternative methods of solving. I think this
contributes to math anxiety.
How would you handle this situation?
Thanks,
Lisa Mullins