National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 360] Assessing abstract math concepts

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Mon Jun 19 10:51:23 EDT 2006

Dear Everyone,

I would like to welcome Myrna Manly to our List this week. A reminder
that Myrna will be responding to our posts once per day.

I am very interested in hearing what you all, as well as Myrna, have to
say about the following prep question that Myrna provided:

* Computation skills are easy to assess. How can we assess other
important aspects of mathematics like strategic problem solving,
conceptual understanding, and reasoning?

How do folks approach assessing these skills? Do you use any existing
tests or assessments to do this? Which ones? Do you develop your own?
What do they look like?

What are some of the things you do in the classroom to try and gauge a
person's knowledge and abilities of the more abstract concepts in math?

Thanks!

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator