National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 331] Re: Formative Assessment

Susan Reid sreid at workbase.org.nz
Thu May 11 11:45:56 EDT 2006

Hi David
I am replying in a rush and so don't have a chance to add a great deal of detail - more to come later
Perhaps the most influential text on formative assessment in the UK system which has percolated down to the NZ system and into the adult education sector is Inside the Black Box by Black and Wiliam which advocates exactly what you are saying - that formative assessment, designed to improve teaching and thus learning can improve learner outcomes. Here are some references below

http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/kbla9810.htm
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/phpnews/wmprint.php?ArtID=225

Formative assessment forms a key part of Reading and Writing Professional Development that Workbase offers in New Zealand, Two colleagues from New Zealand John Benseman and Alison Sutton have also worked on an OECD project around formative assessment and I will put them in touch with you
will provide more information later

Kind regards Susan Reid
Manager Professional Development
Workbase the NZ Centre for Workforce Literacy
www.workbase.org.nz
www.nzliteracyportal.org.nz