National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 328] Re: Formative Assessment

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Thu May 11 08:38:09 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your post David – subscribers: I’m surprised that no one has
responded to David’s post! Isn’t one of our biggest conundrums/topics
of discussion the ‘formative assessment versus summative assessment’
situation (although we may not call it this)? In the on-line assessment
course that I facilitate, participants talked about this fairly
in-depth, and pointed out that formative assessment is what happens all
the time in teachers’ classrooms – where the ‘real’ substance of
teaching and learning are gauged. This has been touched on here before
as well – if you go to the Assessment Archives at:
http://www.nifl.gov/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/search_discussions?cq=2
and type ‘formative assessment’ in the search box you get 21 entries.

But David is looking for studies and further info – there are nearly 500
subscribers here so I’m pretty sure someone has some resources to share.
And if not, you have your experiences to share. David said:
“I am interested in the details of how this is done, in examples of
where it is done especially well, and where it is systematically used.”

Perhaps this is a good place to start. Please let’s hear from you,
Thanks!
marie cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator