National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 270] Re: Questions about the new ETS assessments

Howard L. Dooley, Jr. hdooley at riral.org
Mon Mar 27 15:55:46 EST 2006

And my question about the costs is, what is the value added? What will
learners and instructors receive that will inform future learning, that
other assessments don't already provide? What will program managers
receive that will inform program design and funding allocations, beyond
what current assessments and evaluations already provide? What will
legislators and other funders learn that will benefit future funding,
that they are not already learning from adult education advocates? And,
what will be reportable to the NRS that is not already reported?

My understanding of these assessments is that they are developing
standardized assessments aligned to the EFF content standards. Do we
need this? Aren't other assessments already aligned with EFF enough to
provide the information each stakeholder needs to make their decisions?
Isn't the current mix of formal and informal, standardized and local,
performance and objective assessments essentially doing the necessary
tasks (leaving room for continuous improvements, of course)? I can see
why some programs may want to have a highly aligned, standardized
assessment, and perhaps they should have that option and be wiling to
pay for it. But will most of us need it?

I believe that in considering the most efficient use of scarce
resources, we should look to value added by these investments.

Howard D.