National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 259] Re: FW from Content Standards

David Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Mon Mar 20 12:06:59 EST 2006

Janet, Andrea, and others:

To clarify, and for those who may not have seen my original, March
15th, post, I am proposing a national system of Adult education and
Literacy which has three aligned components: National Curriculum
Standards, (Free) National Curricula, and Standardized Assessments.

I wrote, regarding national curriculum standards:

"1. Sets of national curriculum standards for: a) adult ESL/ESOL/ELL,
b) ABE (including adult basic education) c) ASE (adult secondary
education/GED/EDP/ADP) and d) Transition to College programs ,
developed through a process which is widely respected by the field.
(Some would argue that we already have that in Equipped for the
Future.)"

I am among those who would argue that we already have that in EFF and
agree with Janet that we do not need to start over on this.

I am not sure what Andrea's "units plucked from the air" means but I
proposed that curriculum units (and assessments) be based on these
standards.

Success would be measured based on adult learner goals and contexts
and national standards.

For this to succeed we would need national leadership and federal
funding. Those who are interested in advocating for this could bring
it up with Congressional and Presidential candidates in the upcoming
elections as well as with their current elected representatives.

David J. Rosen
www.newsomeassociates.com
djrosen at comcast.net