National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 242] FW: [AAACE-NLA] Question: Does learning to take CASAS tests preparestudents to take the GED?

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Wed Mar 15 13:26:46 EST 2006

Dear List Colleagues,

I thought perhaps some of you might have thoughts on this post from the
NLA.

Thanks,
marie cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator

-----

Hello all,

I have been asked by a colleague if exposing students to the CASAS
tests can be considered preparation for teaching them to take the GED,
because learning to take CASAS tests involves learning to deal with
multiple
choice
questions and how to use standardized answer sheets. I don't really feel
that the CASAS provides much preparation for the GED because the kinds
of
questions that are required for the GED are far more complex and require
more academic knowledge than the CASAS, even the advanced CASAS tests.
This
is an ongoing discussion. So, I would be interested in what others
think,
including detailed explanations of why you think what you do.

Best,

Sylvie Kashdan, M.A.
Instructor/Curriculum Coordinator
KAIZEN PROGRAM for New English Learners with Visual Limitations
810-A Hiawatha Place South
Seattle, WA 98144, U.S.A.
phone: (206) 784-5619
email: kaizen at literacyworks.org