National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] Questions about TABE 9/10 -- and what should TestPublishers Provide on their Web Sites?

Diane Senders dsenders at lovetoread.org
Mon Feb 13 13:31:59 EST 2006

We use TABE 7/8 in state funded programs in Arizona. As part of the
training to give the TABE, we were provided with a set of explanations
from the publisher. One book is called 'Forms 7&8 Technical Report'.
This explains all of the information about how the TABE 7&8 were
developed. It includes info about equating TABE 7 with TABE 5. (TABE 5&6
were predecessors to TABE 7&8.)
It also gives a chart in the 'Validity' section which shows the
overlapping grade equivalent range of the different levels of the TABE.
We were told by our State Division of Adult Education that when a
student scores in either the low or high scoring range of a level, that
score was not a valid one and the student scoring in that range needed
to take the lower or higher level to get a valid score. For example, if
a student scored very high - 12.9 GE on the level D, that is not a valid
score and the student should take the level A to get a valid score.
I checked the McGraw-Hill/Contemporary site and there is a Technical
Report available for the TABE 9&10. It may give you some answers.
However I don't know whether you can look at it without purchasing it.
Good luck! And please let us know what you find out.

Thanks, Diane

Diane Senders, Program Administrator
Literacy Volunteers of Tucson
1948 E Allen Rd
Tucson, AZ 85719
phone: (520) 882-8006
fax: (520) 882-4986

Literacy Volunteers of Tucson - Strengthening Individuals, Families and
Communities Through Literacy Tutoring.
Literacy Volunteers of Tucson is an accredited affiliate of
ProLiteracy America