National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] TABE questions

Nancy Hansen sfallsliteracy at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 12:46:34 EST 2006

Dianna -

Isn't there a testing instrument used in the Ohio public school system for (and with) this age group that would be more appropriate than the Teaching Adults Beginning Education tool (TABE)? If reading level is being measured, how do the schools gain that data? In my opinion, these kids are far from adults - even if they are entering the job market.

I agree with Maria that it should be questioned whether or not the TABE would provide valid scores when it's designed to be used with adults. If your collegue's study is going to be worth anything at all, the tool used to determine reading levels should be one designed to work with that age group.

With kids this age (particularly if they are having difficulties in school), I even wonder whether or not timed testing is the way to *get* accurate data. Does the public school system have a different type of evaluation that determines grade level than TABE for special education students?

Nancy Hansen
adult literacy administrator
Sioux Falls Area Literacy Council
sfallsliteracy at yahoo.com
Sioux Falls, SD

Dianna Baycich <dbaycich at literacy.kent.edu> wrote:

st1\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#ieooui) } @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin: .5in; mso-footer-margin: .5in; mso-paper-source: 0; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman" } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman" } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman" } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } A:visited { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline:
single } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } SPAN.EmailStyle17 { COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal-compose; mso-style-noshow: yes; mso-ansi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Arial; mso-hansi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial } SPAN.SpellE { mso-style-name: ""; mso-spl-e: yes } SPAN.GramE { mso-style-name: ""; mso-gram-e: yes } DIV.Section1 { page: Section1 } I can give one example of when it was used with folks age 13 to 16. In 1991 and 1992 I worked at a Private Industry Council Summer Youth Employment and Training Program. We gave the TABE to all the kids we accepted into the program. We used the results to determine if they would be placed in tutoring as well as a job or just a job.

The reason I asked the question this time is for a collegue of mine who needs an instrument to determine reading level for a study she is doing. She wanted to use the instrument that was commonly used in Ohio. She was originally going to work with adults but had to change her study to use youth. So... a bit more explanation for why I was asking.

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. I hope to hear more.
Dianna