National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] EFF Discussion Begins Today!

Aaron Kohring akohring at utk.edu
Fri Jan 13 09:55:10 EST 2006

Sam,

I can certainly see value in using all three means of assessment that you
mention. Each one gives you a snapshot in time of what a learner knows and
is able to do and gives you information to inform instruction based on what
that particular assessment is designed to assess. A variety of assessments
gives you a bigger picture of what a learner knows and can do. As
instructors, we also use some very informal assessments in addition to
these you have mentioned to add to that picture of where learners are and
where they need to get to- such as, probing question and answer during a
lesson. Assessments over time give us that picture of progress.

The challenge will be to make sure that all parts of your system are in
alignment: the assessment, instruction, and curriculum. But that does not
mean a variety of assessments cannot be used- only that we understand what
they are based upon and how we are using them.

Any other suggestions?
Aaron

At 02:25 PM 1/12/2006 -0800, you wrote:

>content-class: urn:content-classes:message

> boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C617C7.0BCF833C"

>Regie and others,

>We are in the position of setting new standards and developing new

>curriculum. Because the kinds of students we serve and our program

>structure - we would like to use the portfolio method of assessment,

>however, we would like to provide our students with the tools to get to

>community (etc.) --- we are private non-profit -- my organization (public

>schools) use CASAS standards...we would like to be able to tell our

>students where they are based on CASAS....a large number of our students

>are more suited to EFF (life skills) as that is where they are and

>most-likely will remain....portfolio (shows progression and what the

>student is currently capable of) CASAS (shows students what level they are

>at...and thereby where they could/should be)...EFF (is a goal for

>functional skills (for life)).....

>I would like to be able to offer students...all three....

>Sam

Aaron Kohring
Coordinator, LINCS Literacy & Learning Disabilities Special Collection
(http://ldlink.coe.utk.edu/)
Moderator, National Institute for Literacy's Content Standards Discussion
List (http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/Contentstandards)
Coordinator, Equipped for the Future Websites (http://eff.cls.utk.edu/)

Center for Literacy Studies, University of Tennessee
EFF Center for Training and Technical Assistance
Phone:(865) 974-4109 main
(865) 974-4258 direct
Fax: (865) 974-3857
e-mail: akohring at utk.edu