Research Menu

Re: /proc woes

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tislabs.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:40:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Tom wrote:

> So instead of having a patch, I have a question: My /proc is file_t:
>
> dr-xr-xr-x root root system_u:object_r:file_t proc

This implies that your /proc is an empty mountpoint and is thus unused.

> Doing a chcon manually fails:
>
> # chcon system_u:object_r:proc_t /proc
> chcon: /proc: Permission denied

Why do you need to assign a different type to this empty mountpoint? It doesn't need to be accessed by anything. Are you just trying to avoid audit messages about attempts to access it?

The permission denial is due to the filesystem associate permission check between the file type and the filesystem type. proc_t isn't authorized to be associated with an ordinary filesystem type like fs_t.

--
Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
ssmalley@nai.com