WASHINGTON, January 15 Over the past 8 years, the Department of Labor, under the leadership of Secretary Elaine L. Chao, has made vast improvements in the everyday lives of America's workers.
America's workers are:
- Thanked for serving our nation as returning veterans in the National Guard and reserve, and are now protected by the first-ever regulations to help employers comply with U.S.E.R.R.A.
- Safer now than ever before with the current workplace injury and illness rate at its lowest level in history having dropped 21% since 2002.
- Ensured their proper day's pay with $1.25 billion recovered in back wages.
- Protected from union embezzlement with $91 million in stolen union funds restored.
- Guaranteed fair pay with overtime rules modernized for the first time in 50 years.
All of this was made possible without increasing spending, achieving a cost savings in DOL's discretionary budget of 15% in real terms since 2001.