FDA Statement

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Statement
November 16, 2004

Media Inquiries: 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

Statement of Dr. Lester M. Crawford, Acting Commissioner of Food and Drugs
on the Resignation of Daniel E. Troy

Acting FDA Commissioner Dr. Lester M. Crawford today issued the following statement on the departure of Chief Counsel Dan Troy:

It is with mixed emotions that I announce the resignation of Daniel E. Troy, Associate General Counsel/Chief Counsel of the Food & Drug Division of the Department's Office of the General Counsel. Dan has been FDA's senior legal advisor since his appointment in August 2001.  His resignation is effective November 28.

Since August 2001, Dan has served the Agency with tireless dedication.  Shortly after Dan's arrival, he faced a major challenge, assisting the Agency in addressing the myriad public health dimensions of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.  Thereafter, he provided excellent legal support to the Agency as we responded to the anthrax attacks and reoriented the Agency to its new counterterrorism responsibilities.

Under the leadership of the Department's General Counsel Alex Azar, Dan's legal acumen has equally benefited FDA's programs aimed at carrying out the Agency's traditional public health mission, including the notable accomplishment of the major package of reforms to the Hatch Waxman amendments to the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, which are estimated to save drug consumers $35 billion over ten years

In my estimation, Dan's principal legacy is having instilled in the Agency a deep and abiding respect for the rule of law.  Dan embraced the responsibility, as befits an agency's top lawyer, of helping FDA achieve our public health mission with respect for the powers Congress has -- and has not -- given us.

Dan is joined in his resignation by his special assistant, Coleen Klasmeier. Coleen joined the agency in June 2002.  

General Counsel Alex Azar has named Jerry Masoudi, the current Deputy Associate General Counsel of the Food and Drug Division, as Acting Associate General Counsel/Chief Counsel of the Food and Drug Division of the Office of the General Counsel until a permanent replacement is appointed.

Throughout Dan's tenure, he has given of himself and his time with utmost generosity and good humor.  I am deeply sorry to lose his wise counsel and steadfast support.  I thank Dan for his hard work and wish him and his family all the best.

####

rule

Get free weekly updates about FDA press releases, recalls, speeches, testimony and more.

rule