Frequently Asked Tax Questions and Answers
To search the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), enter your search terms or questions in the box below.
Top Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a person receive a tax refund if they are currently in a payment plan for prior year's federal taxes?
- What is a split refund?
- What should I do if I made a mistake on my federal return that I have already filed?
- Is there an age limit on claiming my children as dependents?
- If I claim my daughter as a dependent because she is a full-time college student, can she claim herself as a dependent when she files her return?
- How much does a student have to make before he or she has to file an income tax return?
- For head of household filing status, do you have to claim a child as a dependent to qualify?
- What are the tax changes for this year?
- How do I know if I have to file quarterly individual estimated tax payments?
- How do I request a copy of my tax return for last year?
Frequently Asked Question Categories
- IRS Procedures
- Filing Requirements/Status/Dependents/Exemptions
- Itemized Deductions/Standard Deductions
- Interest/Dividends/Other Types of Income
- Pensions/Annuities/Retirement Plans (i.e., 401(k), etc.)
- Social Security Income
- Child Care Credit/Other Credits
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Estimated Tax
- Capital Gains, Losses/Sale of Home
- Sale or Trade of Business, Depreciation, Rentals
- Small Business/Self-Employed/Other Business
- Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad
- Electronic Filing (e-file)
- Magnetic Media Filers
- Other (Alternative Minimum Tax, Estates, Trusts, Tax Shelters, State Tax Inquiries)
- Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
Highlights of Recent Tax Changes
Each year we update the answers to reflect the latest changes in tax regulations.
Additional Information by Tax Topics
These Tax Topics contain general individual and business tax information.
Additional Information by Tax Trails
Tax Trails is an interactive session which poses questions that you can answer by selection Yes or No.
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: December 11, 2008