Skip Navigation

How do I get a new Medicare card if my card is lost, stolen, or damaged? How do I change my contact information?


How to get a replacement:

You can now request a replacement red, white, and blue Medicare card online on Social Security's (SSA) web site. Your card will be mailed within 30 days to the address SSA has on record.

This service can be accessed during the following hours:

Monday-Friday: 5 a.m. until 1 a.m.
Saturday : 5 a.m. until 11 p.m.
Sunday : 8 a.m. until 10 p.m.
Holidays : 5 a.m. until 11 p.m.

To make an online request, you will need the following information:
  1. Your last (exact) payment amount or the month and year you last received a payment if you have received benefits in the last 12 months.
  2. Your name as it appears on your most recent Social Security card
  3. Your Social Security Number
  4. Your Date of Birth
  5. Your phone number in case we need to contact you about your request
  6. Your e-mail address (optional)

You may also need:

  1. Your Place of Birth
  2. Your Mother's Maiden Name (to help identify you)

This service can be accessed via the Social Security Administration Web site. If you prefer, or if you are unable to use the online request to obtain a replacement Medicare card, call Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213. Their representatives there will be glad to help you. You can also visit a local social security office. For the office closest to you try their Field Office Locator.

Changing your contact information:

To report your new address and request a replacement card at the same time, please call or visit Social Security.

To Contact Social Security in the United States:

  • Call our toll-free number 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free "TTY" number, 1-800-325-0778. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
  • Call or visit your local Social Security office. You can get directions and a map to your local Social Security Office by visiting the Field Office Locator.

Outside the United States, call or visit:

Last Updated: 6/25/2008