Skip page top navigationFDA Logo--links to FDA home page Logo of and Link to start page of Office of Regulatory Affairs, U.S. Food and Drug Administration U.S. Food and Drug Administration Office of Regulatory Affairs HHS Logo and link to Department of Health and Human Services website

FDA Home Page | Federal-State | Import Program | Compliance | Inspection | Science | ORA Search  Vignette Managed Content: Click here for Metadata

Inspection References
Investigations Operations Manual 2008
Previous Page | Document TOC | Chapter TOC | Next Page
Updated: 2008-02-06


1.2 - TRAVEL
1.2.1 - COMMON CARRIER - Air - Auto Rental - Taxi - Accident Insurance - Gainsharing
1.2.2 - GOVERNMENT FURNISHED VEHICLES (GFVs) - Interagency Motor Pool - Accidents - Information to be obtained - Reporting - Liability - Military Personnel and Civilian Employees' Claim Act of 1964 - Tort Claims - References - Use of a GFV Between Your Residence and Place of Employment - Care & Custody of U.S. Vehicles
1.2.4 - PER DIEM AND SUBSISTENCE - Per Diem Rates - Hospitalized In Travel Status

1.2 - TRAVEL

All official travel must be authorized and approved with a valid travel order  (T.O.) using FDA’s online travel management program GovTrip . Emergency travel can be approved and the travel order prepared and authorized after the fact. "After the fact" T.O.s should be utilized on a very limited basis.

The federal travel regulations contained in 41 CFR 301, Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Travel Manual, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) supplements thereto, govern official travel. Become familiar with these documents. All material contained in the Investigations Operations Manual (IOM) must be used in conjunction with, and subject to, federal travel regulations. Additional travel information can be obtained from the Office of Financial Management (OFM) Intranet home page.

For foreign travel, be aware that there are differences in reporting requirements and reimbursable expenses. See the Guide to International Inspections and Travel, Chapter 1, Subchapter 110 - Travel, for specifics.

Effective March 1, 2000, federal employees must put most official travel-related charges on government-issued credit cards, with exceptions only for expenses that are either relatively minor or inconvenient for credit card usage such as parking, local transportation, tips, phone calls, and certain expenses for which credit cards are not accepted.

FDA selected Northrop Grumman’s GovTrip as their E-Government Travel Service. GovTrip is accessed at GovTrip will enable FDA travelers and travel preparers to make travel reservations, book hotel accommodations and rental car reservations, and create authorizations and vouchers (including local travel vouchers) in a single web-based system. In addition, GovTrip will interface with the Unified Financial Management System (UFMS) for obligation and payment of travel vouchers. Payments will include direct payment to US Bank for expenses charged to the individual's official government travel credit card. The system incorporates Federal Government travel policies which include the city pair airfare contract program and Federal Travel Regulations and is structured to require justification if you want to deviate from General Services Administration's (GSA) regulations. A policy has been established with the FDA so that your government-issued credit card will be your primary method of billing and payment when you book flights, make hotel reservations, or reserve a rental car. Additional information can be obtained by contacting your Administrative Officer (AO) or visiting OFM's website.


Request round-trip tickets when it can be expected you will use them. This reduces paperwork costs, even though there may be no savings on the tickets themselves.

You should cancel reserved tickets if you will not be using them. Failure to do so may result in charges levied by the carrier. Note the date and time of your cancellation, and the name or code number of the agent that you advised. Unused tickets must be returned to your AO or Travel Management Center.

Requirements which authorize you to use cash payments for procurement of common carrier transportation and related expenses, in lieu of your government-issued credit card, or centrally billed account, are specified in 41 CFR 301-72.200 and 301-51.100. Cash payments are generally permitted:

  1. To obtain passenger transportation services, in an emergency, for any amount when authorized by your District Director (DD) and documented on your T.O. Otherwise, cash and personal credit cards may not be used for transportation expenses exceeding $100.00.
  2. To pay air excess baggage charges up to $15.00 for each leg of a trip.

When cash is used, claim a reimbursement on your travel voucher and submit your ticket stubs or other appropriate receipts. You must also explain the circumstances for using cash on your travel voucher. See IOM 1.2.7 for mandatory statements required on a travel voucher. - Air

It is FDA's policy to require all travelers to use coach class service for official travel. A contract air carrier must be used unless one of three approved exceptions is met and your District Director approves another carrier. See your fiscal clerk for further information. Justification for use of non-contract carriers must be approved on the Travel Order by the Regional Food and Drug Director (RFDD), DD or Administrative Officer, or on the voucher, if "after the fact." Refer to Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) 301-10.107 and 301-10.108 for the mandatory use of a contract city-pair fare.

Exceptions to using City Pair Program are:

  1. Contract service is not available in time to accomplish the purpose of your travel
  2. Use of contract service would require you to incur unnecessary overnight lodging costs that would increase the total cost of the trip
  3. Contract service is outside normal working hours
  4. A non-contract carrier offers a lower fare (available to the general public), the use of which will result in a lower total trip cost to the Government
  5. Cost effective rail service is available and is consistent with mission requirements

The Associate Commissioner for Management must authorize First Class travel. The use of first class travel must be pre-approved, and such approval will not be granted, even for medical reasons, unless business class is not available.

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002, Section 1116 specifically states that federal employees may retain for personal use promotion items, including frequent flyer miles, earned on official travel. Normally it is the policy of the Government that employees generally must travel by coach class accommodations. However, you may upgrade your transportation class to premium service e.g. business class/first-class with your personal funds or your frequent flyer miles based on regulations found in FTR 301-10.123 and 301-10.124.

Accommodations other than coach will be approved if in met in accordance with the FTR and the NTEU-MOU for foreign inspections.

Consistent with FTR 301-12.2, you may be reimbursed expenses related to baggage, but you should be prudent and only request reimbursement for reasonable excess baggage authorized and approved in advance on the travel order.

Please see the FTR on the GSA website for additional information. - Auto Rental

GSA and the Department of Defense (DOD) both provide employees with a nationwide commercial auto rental program. The Federal Travel Directory, published monthly on floppy diskette, contains a list of vehicle leasing companies participating in this program. Agency policy dictates leasing the least expensive auto to satisfy the transportation requirements.

Commercial auto rental is available when specifically authorized by a special or blanket T.O. You will be reimbursed for rental expense when it is properly vouchered and your receipt is attached to your travel voucher.

Optional Collision Damage Insurance known as CDW will not be reimbursed. Participating rental companies have agreed to settle any claim for damages with the FDA. It is important to note that only damages incident to official travel will be covered by this agreement. If an investigation shows your vehicle damage or personal injury was the result of your unauthorized use of a rental vehicle, you may be personally liable for all related costs. See IOM -Liability.

CDW is required for foreign travel and will be reimbursed. See the Guide to International Inspections and Travel, 211.7 - Auto Rental.

Travelers are required to adhere to the same rules and regulations covering government owned vehicles when using a rental car while on official business. - Taxi

Reimbursement for the use of taxicabs will only be allowed when authorized on your T.O.  Allowable tips are 15% of the reimbursable fare. Receipts are required for fares over $75.00.

You will be reimbursed for the usual cab and/or airport limousine fares plus tip from your home/office to the common carrier terminal on the day you depart on an official overnight trip, and upon your return. In lieu of cab, you may use your personal car at a mileage rate not to exceed the cab fare plus tip. See your administrative personnel for current mileage rates, the maximum allowable taxicab fares, and other pertinent details. - Accident Insurance

The government will not pay or reimburse you if you purchase accident insurance. Obtaining accident insurance is at your expense since you are covered while on official business by workmen's compensation insurance. See IOM for payment of insurance on rental cars.

Many insurance policies will not cover you if you perform any duties connected with your job while on an interstate transportation carrier. This could affect you if you perform on-board inspections under the Interstate Travel Sanitation Program during a trip. - Gainsharing

The Government Employees Incentive Awards Act, 5 USC Paragraphs 4501-4507, authorizes an agency to pay a cash award for "efficiency" or "economy". FDA in conjunction with the National Treasury Employees Union (NTEU) implemented a Gainsharing Travel Savings Program which rewards you if you save the FDA money while you are on temporary travel (TDY). Your participation is optional. The Agency's gainsharing policy as well as filing instructions for gainsharing claims can be found by accessing OFM's website.


GFVs are provided for official purposes only. The term "official purpose" shall be interpreted strictly, and not construed to mean mingling of official business with non-official business. Using a GFV for sightseeing, personal business, personal convenience or preference will be construed as unauthorized use of a GFV. The distance involved in any such misuse is irrelevant. The following is an excerpt from the DHHS Travel Manual Appendix A 1-2.6a., dated May 31, 1988 which further defines official purpose:

"Use of Government-furnished Vehicles."

a. "Use limited to official purposes - When a Government furnished vehicle is used by an employee for official travel, its use shall be limited to official purposes (31 U.S.C. 638a) which include transportation between places where the employee's presence is required incident to official business; between such places and places of temporary lodging when public transportation is unavailable or its use is impractical; and between either of the above places and suitable eating places, drug stores, barber shops, places of worship, cleaning establishments, and similar places necessary for the sustenance, comfort, or health of the employee in order to foster the continued efficient performance of Government business."

You are responsible at all times for the proper care, operation, maintenance, and protection of a GFV. If you willfully or knowingly use or authorize the use of a GFV for other than official purposes, you are subject to suspension or removal. - Interagency Motor Pool

GFVs for district operations are furnished by the regional GSA motor pool. Be guided by the district operating procedures in effect for the appropriate regional pool.

Vehicle Operation - You are required to have a valid state, District of Columbia, or commonwealth operator's permit for the type vehicle to be operated, and a valid DHHS identification document (i.e. Agency ID card, credentials, building pass, etc.).

Each district has working arrangements for the repair and maintenance of vehicles, either with GSA contractors or the GSA motor pool. It is your responsibility to adhere to those safety and maintenance checks. Do not operate cars known to be mechanically unsafe. Handle emergency repairs in travel status in accordance with your District and GSA motor pool procedures.

Purchase gas and oil for your GFV with GSA Credit Cards. Make emergency purchases with cash only when the GSA Credit Card is refused. Your receipts are required by the GSA motor pool. Provide for the safe and proper overnight storage of GFVs while you are in travel status, and put the charges on your travel voucher.

You are responsible for all traffic violations, including parking fines, you incur during the use and operation of a GFV. See DHHS Material Management Manual Section 103-38-052.1.

Allowance - While on official business, you may be reimbursed for parking fees or overnight storage charges. Put these charges on your travel voucher. Receipts are required when available.

Bridge, ferry and road tolls may be paid in cash. Put these charges on your travel voucher. Receipts are only required for amounts over $75.00. - Accidents

Immediate Action - Render first aid. If you are injured, obtain emergency treatment.  Contact police. - Information to be obtained

Information to be obtained:

  1. Description of vehicles involved, including license numbers
  2. Name, address and other pertinent information about drivers and owners of other vehicles; exchange state driver license information if possible 
  3. Names, addresses and signed statements of witnesses
  4. Names, official affiliation of investigating police officers
  5. Photographs of the scene and the damage
  6. Make no statements as to responsibility for the accident, except to your supervisor or investigating official. - Reporting

Report the accident to the police after rendering emergency first aid to the injured. Telephone your supervisor and the chief of the motor pool from which the vehicle is assigned, unless your supervisor advises you the district will handle it.

  1. Complete the following forms and submit as required:
    1. "Motor Vehicle Accident Report" (SF-91)
    2. Copy of an traffic regulations or ordinance which was violated
    3. Results of any trial or disposition of summons if any arrests were made or charges preferred.
    4. "Claim for Damage, Injury or Death" (SF-95) or other written notification of an incident accompanied by a claim.  (SF-95 or statement constituting a claim must be date-stamped by the office initially receiving the claim to document the exact date the claim was received.) To be completed by claimant/non-government employee.
    5. Investigation Reports and Policy Reports
    6. Statement of Witness (SF-94)
    7. Itemized receipt of payment for necessary repairs or two itemized written estimates of cost of repairs
    8. Statement listing date of purchase, purchase price and salvage value where repair is not economical
    9. Photographs of damage and/or scene of accident if available
  2. File reports to comply with all local and state laws dealing with accident reporting. Keep copies of all reports made and attach them to the federal accident report.
  3. Check with your personal insurance carrier for their requirements.
  4. Immediately submit to your supervisor any notice, summons, legal paper or claim, which may subsequently arise from the accident.
  5. Check with your district safety officer to determine if additional reports or information are needed. - Liability

The Federal Drivers Act (28 U.S.C. 2679(a)-(e)) was enacted to protect government drivers from personal liability while driving within the scope of their employment. This means you must be on official business to be covered. It relieves you from the burden of acquiring private automobile liability insurance for driving while on the job.

The government's exclusive liability provided by this Act is predicated on its status as employer, without regard to whether the vehicle involved is government owned or privately owned.

The Military Personnel and Civilian Employees' Claim Act of 1964 allows for claims against FDA by employees, provided the loss or damage was within the scope of their employment and the employee (claimant) is free of negligence regarding those losses (See IOM  The Federal Tort Claims Act provides for claims generally coming from outside the Agency where the activities of the agency, or specific individual employees are negligent and cause death, injuries, or property loss or damage (See IOM

Claims should be submitted through your Administrative Office to the Office of Shared Services, Fleet Manager, HFA-720, 12345 Parklawn Drive, Rockville, MD 20857.  The claim will be reviewed and forwarded to Program Support Center (PSC) for processing. - Military Personnel and Civilian Employees' Claim Act of 1964

Documentation and information to be submitted as follows for military personnel and civilian employees' claims under the Military Personnel and Civilian Employees' Claim Act of 1964.

Claims Involving Household Moves:

  1. "Employee Claim for Loss or Damage to Personal Property" (HHS-481)
  2. Schedule of Property
  3. Household Inventory showing items claims
  4. Other documents that may provide evidence of damage or loss
  5. Proof of Ownership
  6. Cost of Repair (if damage is over $50.00 submit receipt of cost of repair or estimate of cost on company letterhead)
  7. Photographs if available
  8. Copies of private claims if applicable (claims must be filed seeking recovery from carrier before FDA claim can be filed.)

Claims Involving Property Loss or Damage:

  1. "Employee Claim for Loss or Damage to Personal Property" (HHS-481)
  2. Schedule of Property
  3. Proof of Ownership
  4. Cost of Repair (if damage is over $50.00 submit a receipt for the cost of repair or estimate of cost on company letterhead)
  5. Photographs if available
  6. Copies of private claims if applicable
  7. Police report and/or other agency report and witness statements if appropriate

Motor Vehicle Accidents - See IOM - Tort Claims

Tort Claims can be filed by any individual who states that they have suffered personal injury or property damage or loss resulting from the action of an FDA employee or Commissioned Officer who was acting within the scope of employment.

Property Damage or Personal Injury

  1. "Claim for Damage, Injury or Death" (SF-95) or other written notification of an incident accompanied by a claim.  (SF-95 or statement constituting a claim must be date-stamped by the office initially receiving the claim to document the exact date the claim was received.)
  2. Investigation Reports and Policy Reports
  3. Statement of Witness (SF-94)
  4. Itemized receipt of payment for necessary repairs or two itemized written estimates of cost of repairs
  5. Statement listing date of purchase, purchase price and salvage value where repair is not economical
  6. Photographs of damage and/or scene of accident if available - References

FDA Staff Manual Guide 2260.1, "Claims"

Military Personnel and Civilian Employees' Claims Act of 1964, Directive 495.1 - Claims Under The Military Personnel And Federal Tort Claims Act See

HHS and PHS General Administration Manuals (Chapters 4-00, 4-10, 4-30, 40-35) - Use of a GFV Between Your Residence and Place of Employment

Use of government owned or leased autos between your residence and place of employment is approved by the Secretary, DHHS, for certain job series as stated in FDA Staff Manual Guide (SMG) 2173.1. The use of a DHHS-16 "Request To Use Government Furnished Vehicle For Transportation Between Domicile and Place of Employment" is no longer required, however, local management may continue to use the form or establish a verbal approval process, if desired. The Daily Log of Government Vehicle (Form FDA-3369) must be maintained by all approved persons using a GFV, assuring that all items indicated on the form are completed for each trip. The DHHS now requires that each person taking a GFV home, in order to perform field work, must indicate in Column 10 on the Form 3369, the location of their residence. The Daily Log must be kept for at least a period of three years and must be available for audit purposes. The use of Form DHHS-17 "Quarterly Report on Use of Government-Owned or Leased Vehicles Between Domicile and Place of Employment" is no longer required. - Care & Custody of U.S. Vehicles

GSA has issued instructions on the use and protection of U.S. Government vehicles, Government National Credit Cards, and car keys. The parts of these instructions applicable to you while the car is in your custody are:

  1. The car should be locked when parked in public areas, in private lots, or in open government parking areas.
  2. The operator is responsible for the keys and the credit card. They should be removed from the vehicle and carried whenever the vehicle is parked.
  3. The keys and credit card are returned to the motor pool office when the vehicle is returned. These items should be kept in a safe place at the office if the vehicle is stored at other than a motor pool location.
  4. The credit card must be removed when a vehicle is left at a garage or service station and the keys remain with the garage or station attendant.
  5. The credit card may only be used to purchase fuel and lubricants or other items listed on the back of the card for the vehicle identified, and not used for other vehicles.
  6. Before signing a service ticket, check for accuracy. Be sure the imprinted address is legible, and write the vehicle mileage (odometer reading) on the ticket.
  7. The use of tobacco products is prohibited in government-owned or commercial, leased vehicles


On official business, you may use your POV instead of a GFV, if authorized. However, reimbursement for mileage will not exceed the cost of using a GFV. You should carry a set of government accident reporting forms whenever you use your POV for official business. See IOM for accident reporting requirements.

Allowances - In general, the mileage allowance is in lieu of all expenses of operating your POV, except tolls. Unless otherwise authorized, reimbursement is limited to the cost of travel by common carrier. Standard highway guide mileage may be used in lieu of odometer readings for direct travel from one town to another. Explain any extra mileage on your travel voucher. - Accidents

The Federal Employee's Compensation Act (Workmen's Compensation) protects employees against losses due to personal injuries received while operating POVs on official business.

Under the Federal Driver's Act [28 U.S.C. 2679(a)-(e)], you are immune from any civil liability to other parties for property damage, personal injury, or death resulting from operation of a vehicle within the scope of your employment. This immunity applies whether the vehicle involved is a GFV or POV. The government would defend any such claim or suit, and would pay any damage award to the injured party.

If an accident was caused by your negligent operation of a vehicle, and your vehicle is damaged, the cost of repairing your vehicle will not be paid for by the government. You should look to your own private insurance carrier for reimbursement, payable under the terms of your own automobile insurance policy. You are protected from liability by the Federal Drivers Act. See IOM for further information on this.

If the accident is determined not to have been caused by your negligence, the provisions of the Military Personnel and Civilian Employees Claims Act (31 U.S.C. 240-243) would be applicable. Under this Act, you would be reimbursed for the deductible portion of the repair not covered by your own automobile insurance policy, up to a maximum of $250.00 deductible. (You may also collect from the other party's insurance.) Form DHHS-481, Employee Claim for Loss or Damage to Personal Property, should be obtained from, completed, and submitted to the Office of Shared Services, Fleet Manager, HFA-720, 12345 Parklawn Drive, Rockville, MD 20857, with evidence establishing that the use of a POV was authorized for official purposes and that the accident was not caused by your negligence.

Employee Liability - see IOM

Reporting - Report vehicle accidents as instructed in IOM


Subsistence is the cost of lodging, meals, tips, and the miscellaneous expenses you incur while in travel status. Per Diem is based on the actual cost of lodging, plus a set amount for "Meals and Incidental Expenses" (M&IE), not to exceed the maximum rate for the prescribed city or area. Note: For domestic travel only, report lodging taxes separate from lodging expenses and claim them in the "Other" column on your travel voucher. Foreign travel taxes still remain a part of your lodging expenses.

Lodging expenses should be paid using your government-issued credit card, when possible. The credit card bill will be mailed directly to you. It is your responsibility to pay the bill on time. The FDA will reimburse late charges on your bill only when you can show the late payment was due to late reimbursement of funds by the FDA.

Accurately record all of your expenditures. Document the date of your departure from each point where your duty is performed. Be guided by your district's policy for where to record this information, e.g. in an administrative diary, etc.

Administrative Notes - Your regulatory notes (See IOM 2.1) should not contain notes of a purely administrative nature (documentation of travel, expenses [tolls, sample costs, etc.], fiscal data, mileage, etc.) These administrative notes can be documented in some kind of an administrative diary. They do not need to be kept in a permanent record other than the completed Travel Voucher, Claim for Reimbursement for Expenditures on Official Business, Receipt for Samples, etc. Follow your district's requirements for maintaining this information. - Per Diem Rates

Consult your supervisor or administrative personnel for specific rates for specific locations or at the ERIC website.

Per Diem commences when you depart your home, office, or other point of departure, and terminates when you return to your home, office, or other point. This applies whether you are traveling by auto or by common carrier.

The M&IE Allowance is 3/4 of the daily rate on the first and last day of travel when overnight travel is involved, and the full daily rate for each intervening day.

M&IE may apply where there is no overnight lodging. However, M&IE will not be allowed for periods of time less than twelve hours.

Your work time plus your total commute time must be greater than twelve hours for you to be eligible for M&IE. - Hospitalized In Travel Status

If, while you are in travel status, you become hospitalized by illness or injury not due to your own misconduct, your per diem continues (even if covered by your health insurance carrier) provided you do not receive hospitalization (or reimbursement therefore) under any Federal statute such as Workmen's Compensation, VA, or military hospital.

Your per diem is calculated on the lodgings-plus system, not to exceed the per diem rate allowed. Check with your district supervisor or administrative personnel.


Effective January 11, 2004, the Office of Financial Services, OSS, centralized FDA relocation services with Prudential Relocation Services.  Services provided include:  entitlement counseling, transportation of household goods, and travel voucher review and preparation Access the Begin Changed TextERIC websiteEnd Changed Text to view the online "Agency-wide Relocation Policy Guide" which provides basic administrative information for employees transferring from one duty station to another within the FDA.


You will use your government-issued credit card to obtain a cash advance from an ATM machine, for official government business only. Ensure your Travel Authorization contains a statement authorizing you to obtain cash advances and the amount authorized. ATM cash advances may be used to purchase samples. There are usually two fees associated with an ATM cash advance. The "Terminal Fee" assessed by the ATM terminal's owner/supplier and the "Cash Advance Fee" assessed by the bank. Currently, the Cash Advance Fee is 1.5% of the total ATM advance; or 1.5% x $(Cash advance amount + ATM Terminal Fee). The Cash Advance Fee is described in your credit card agreement. These amounts must be included on the Travel Authorization/Voucher along with receipts before reimbursement can be made.


If you do not have a government travel card and are required to travel, please see your administrative officer about receiving a travel advance. For further information, see Staff Manual Guide 2343.1 Government Travel Card and ATM Advance Programs.


Within five days after each trip, submit your electronic claim for reimbursement  (Travel Voucher) using GovTrip.    Expenses for local travel for meetings and/or field work are also claimed using GovTrip.  All travel vouchers are processed electronically.  See for web-based  training information.

Travel Voucher Preparation - Clerical procedures vary from district to district, so consult your supervisor or administrative officer for instructions. State all items in chronological order. Show your mode of transportation and if accompanied, the names of the other travelers.

Show your date of departure and return to your official duty station, and when periods of leave commence and end. Show all points where costs are incurred.

Mandatory Statements Required on GovTrip - See IOM Exhibit 1-1 for allowable expenses, receipts required, etc.

Leave Taken in Travel Status - If you take any type of leave while in travel status, include a statement on your travel voucher that you apprised your timekeeper of the amount and type of leave taken. The timekeeper must initial your voucher to show that the leave has been recorded.

Reimbursable Expenses - Explain the necessity for unusual expenditures such as rental equipment, stenographic services and emergency charges (See IOM Exhibit 1-1). The following cash purchases are reimbursable when accompanied by necessary receipts (see Documentation below):

  1. Travel costs such as road and bridge tolls, storage and parking for government cars, and handling of official (not personal) baggage.
  2. Costs for samples and the necessary casual labor charges for their collection and packing. (See IOM Official Samples.)
  3. Telephone and telegraph expenses. Document that the use was for official purposes. For local telephone calls, show the number of calls only and the total cost each day.
  4. Emergency purchases (flashlights, batteries, photographic film, jars, or dry ice for samples, etc.)
  5. Coveralls or lab coat laundry while in travel status
  6. Personal laundry while in travel status within continental U.S. (CONUS) for four or more consecutive nights

Documentation - Except for samples, all cash payments should be supported by itemized invoices or receipts signed by vendor, if possible. If you are unable to furnish receipts when submitting your voucher, explain that on the voucher.

Receipts for registration fees at meetings are required regardless of the amount. See Exhibit 1-1.


Commercial - Local, official telephone calls are reimbursable. When placing an official call from a non-government phone, use your government-issued calling card, call collect if permitted by your District's policy, or call commercially and claim reimbursement on your travel voucher.

Commercial calls from hotels or motels should be made using your government-issued calling card, whenever possible. If not possible, they should be claimed on your travel voucher and be supported by the phone bill. Calls made using a personal credit card or similar billing arrangements should be claimed on your travel voucher if a receipt is available at the time of voucher preparation. Otherwise, a follow-up petty cash voucher should be submitted, supported by a copy of your itemized phone bill, and certification the charge was for official government business.

Calls To Residence - FDA has established the following guidelines under which an employee in travel status for more than one night within the U.S. may be reimbursed for telephone calls home:

  1. Calls should be made as economically as possible.
  2. Calls should be made on the FTS network when possible. If not possible, calls should be made using your government-issued calling card. Telephone calls made with government-issued calling cards are automatically billed to the FDA. You are reimbursed through the voucher system when a surcharge is imposed for credit card calls from the traveler's motel/hotel room. Refer to Staff Manual Guide 2343.2 to determine the maximum allowable reimbursement for telephone calls home.

Districts that have differing union-negotiated agreements regarding telephone calls home while in travel status should be guided by those agreements.


Since situations arise which necessitate contacting you while in travel status, provide your supervisor with a travel itinerary listing where and how you can be reached.

Page Top Previous Page | Document TOC | Chapter TOC | Next Page