Research Menu

Re: Desktop integration

From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh_at_redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 06:14:35 -0500

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

>> 1. That a user can relabel to all of the customizable types. In most
>> policies he will not be allowed to .
> That's fair enough, but it can be checked...
>>
>> 2. That the only types he can relabel to are customizable.
>> For example user_home_t is not necessarily customizable but a user
>> could change a context to it.
>>
> I don't understand this one. Why is the user allowed to relabel to a
> non-customizable type.
>
> Something's wrong with this - it appears to carry a risk that the file
> will be automatically relabeled later, even after the user has made an
> explicit request that it must be labeled user_home_t - that certainly
> seems like a bad thing.

Usually the user would be changing a badly labeled file back to user_home_t in his home directory. So if a user changes a context to a customizable type, he might want to later change the context back. user_home_t should not be a customizable type, because a user could create a file in his home dir and then mv it to /var/www/html for example. We would not want that context to remain user_home_t.