Research Menu

Re: An SELinux policy for Red Hat 9

From: Bradley Chapman <kakadu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:52:00 +0100

Mr. Smalley,

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 08:14:13 -0400, Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 07:43, Bradley Chapman wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:11:55 +1000, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> > > But if you REALLY want to use RHL 9, the current policy should work OK, you
> > > just have to make the appropriate changes to pam, logrotate, cron, coreutils,
> > > etc.
> >
> > What sort of changes? Path changes?
>
> I think Russell is referring to the userland patches for those
> packages. The current patches and SRPMS in our userland tree are drawn
> from the Fedora Core development tree, so you are likely to run into
> dependency problems building them on RH9. And Fedora Core actually
> includes _many_ other patched userland packages for SELinux; we only
> maintain a core subset in our tree for reference purposes for people who
> want to port to other distributions. A few examples of patched userland
> packages in Fedora Core that are not in our tree include gdm, usermode,
> atd, and libuser, and there are many others. There is also the issue of
> glibc security awareness; the RH9 glibc won't enable secure mode upon
> domain transitions, unlike the Fedora Core glibc.

Oh.

I thought the patches mentioned were confined mostly to core system utilities; I had no idea that FC2's modifications for SELlinux were quite that extensive!

> If you truly are limited to using RH9, then you should likely grab an
> older release of SELinux that was based on RH9. But life will be
> simpler if you can move to FC2.

Well, in light of your recommendations, I will certainly consider such a move now.
If I do decide to move to FC2, how difficult will it then become to adapt the SELinux policy
to my needs?

> --
> Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
> National Security Agency