Research

Re: Sample config

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_epoch.ncsc.mil>
Date: 17 Oct 2003 11:56:24 -0400

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 11:38, Inger, Slav (S.B.) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my environment, 'root' has a role of sysadm_r. Running SELinux in
> permissive mode and looking at the avc messages, all violations apply
> to the kernel_t context. Also, all of the processes on the system seem
> to be running in kernel_t context as well. I can use newrules.pl to relax
> the rules (basically add a bunch of 'allow kernel_t' lines, but that's not
> the point. What I would like to demonstrate is that user 'root' can do
> all of his normal sysadmin chores EXCEPT kill some process or rm some file.
> Let's say he shouldn't be able to kill sshd and overwrite or remove
> /var/log/messages (but appending is fine). This is pretty easy to do
> with LIDS, I need to know how administratively intensive it is to set
> up these rules in SELinux. What specific rules do I need to
> add/remove/change to make what I'm asking for happen? Thanks in advance.

First, you need to get your system into a working state, which it isn't if everything is running in kernel_t. Did you label your filesystem? Does ls --context /sbin/init show the correct context? If not, then relabel your filesystem and reboot as per the README. If it is labeled correctly, then another possible explanation is that you didn't load the policy via an initrd prior to executing /sbin/init, so the domain transition didn't occur.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency