Research Menu

Re: Fedora Project and SELinux

From: James Morris <jmorris_at_redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:28:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Kratzer, James R. wrote:

> With Red Hat 9 being released to the open source community as the Fedora
> project, will SELinux development continue with the Fedora core only, will
> SELinux development continue with Red Hat Enterprise Linux only, or will
> SELinux development continue with both?.

Current SELinux development by Red Hat uses a Fedora base with SELinux specific RPMS maintained by Dan Walsh:
ftp://people.redhat.com/dwalsh/SELinux/packages

> It seems that SELinux changes are being upstreamed to rawhide for
> release with the 2.6 kernel. Will this kernel, along with upstreamed
> changes to glibc, be included in Fedora's release later this year as
> well as the next release of RH Enterprise?

As far as I know, Fedora will not initially be released with SELinux enabled, but a future version may. This is also up to the Fedora development community, and further discussion on the issue should probably be directed to fedora-devel-list (https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list).

Also see Michael Johnson's response to a similar question in August: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-August/msg00139.html

> With Fedora being an open source community supported project, will this
> introduce security risks of backdoors being introduced into the core?

Not in my opinion -- the development process is now even more transparent.

  • James -- James Morris <jmorris@redhat.com>