Research

Re: type_transition init_t xxx_exec_t:process xxx_t

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tislabs.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:47:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Carsten Grohmann wrote:

> in many files is follow rule:
>
> type_transition init_t xxx_exec_t:process xxx_t
>
> but I don't understand why.
> A lot of this rule sets don't start from the init domain. I know that the
> init process start all processes in a linux system. Is that the reason?
> On the other side -- in the case of missing this rule by out comment, I
> don't get a error message. Need I this rule?

These rules are included to cover the case where the SELinux module is dynamically loaded into a running kernel rather than being built-in. Although we don't recommend such usage due to the difficulty in determining the right security attributes for pre-existing processes and objects, the SELinux module does provide some degree of support for it. This is discussed in the module technical report. The type_transition init_t ... rules are needed because the process may have been reparented to init by the time the SELinux module is inserted.

If you always intend to use SELinux as a built-in module (recommended), then you can safely remove these type_transition init_t ... rules. Notice that in any case where init truly starts the process, there must be a full domain_auto_trans(init_t, ...) rule to authorize it. Hence, when you see a type_transition init_t ... rule by itself, it is only for the purpose of labeling pre-existing processes when SELinux is dynamically inserted.

--
Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
ssmalley@nai.com

--
You have received this message because you are subscribed to the selinux list.