Research Menu

Re: quota and ampd

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tislabs.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 07:20:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Ryan Bergauer wrote:

> I just installed the new release of SELinux, and I get about 7 messages
> at boot-time requesting different permissions for quotaon, per the
> following:
>
> avc: denied { read } for pid=141 exe=/sbin/quotaon
> path=/usr/lib/locale/en_US.iso885915/LC_IDENTIFICATION dev=03:02
> ino=1289283 scontext=system_u:system_r:quota_t
> tcontext=system_u:object_r:writeable_t tclass=file
>
> That wasn't there before the new release, and my kernel configuration
> should've been the same. Anyone else getting this?

The quota_t domain is new to this upstream release. It was contributed by Russell Coker. Hence, it isn't surprising that you may see some denials on RH systems, since Russell is using Debian. Feel free to grant quota_t read access to writeable_t (and even write access, if required).

> In addition, I'm getting quite a few denied messages at boot and
> shutdown regarding killall5 when I enable Advanced Power Management Bios
> in the kernel (with apmd_t wanting read-type permissions for items in
> init_t and kernel_t.) This sound familiar to anyone else? Please note
> that this was occurring before the new release, I just never got around
> to confronting it until now.

What are the specific audit messages (or at least some examples)?

--
Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
ssmalley@nai.com

--
You have received this message because you are subscribed to the selinux list.