Research

Re: RedHat 7.2

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tislabs.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:35:04 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Femitha Majeed wrote:

> Is SELinux easily configurable on RedHat 7.2?

We haven't tried RedHat 7.2 yet, so I don't know about what changes might be necessary in the example policy configuration. However, there is at least one non-policy issue for RedHat 7.2 - the use of the ext3 filesystem. LSM is tracking Linus' kernel tree, and Linus' kernel tree does not yet include ext3. Hopefully, ext3 will be merged into Linus' tree sometime soon. As far as the SELinux security module is concerned, ext3 shouldn't present any problems, although you do need the patch that I posted a little while back (of course, it will be included in future releases) so that the security module will recognize ext3 as a legitimate filesystem type for persistent labeling.

Another non-policy issue for RedHat 7.2 will be the base sources for our modified daemons and utilities. Due to limited resources and the fact that many of the modified packages are non-essential, we only update these packages as necessary or when there is a serious bug. We've internally updated to the latest util-linux and openssh SRPMS for RedHat 7.1, which should show up in the next release.

--
Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
ssmalley@nai.com

--
You have received this message because you are subscribed to the selinux list.