Research Menu

(no subject)

From: Russell Coker <russell_at_coker.com.au>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 04:49:56 +0100

I have just created some rules for nscd (the name service caching daemon).

In domains/system/initrc.te I put the following: domain_auto_trans(initrc_t, nscd_exec_t, nscd_t)

I put the following in file_contexts:

/usr/sbin/nscd                  system_u:object_r:nscd_exec_t

I have attached my nscd.te file.

I believe that the recent versions of nscd (and the matching library code in libc6) doesn't attempt to cache /etc/shadow data. If this isn't the case then it's a security issue which would have to be corrected on an SE system (or else nscd should not be run). I have to check this (don't have access to the source right now).

In a typical setup of nscd you will have a somewhat slow source of password data (LDAP or a SQL database) and the nscd will cache lookups so that "ls -l /tmp" doesn't take all day.

that I am subscribed to which has >4 lines of legalistic junk at the end
then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever I wish with the
message (the sig won't be read).