Research Menu

Re: activity?

From: Noah silva <nsilva_at_atari-source.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:01:38 -0500 (EST)

I am not sure if I see the time between updates as making it non-viable. I don't think anyone has attempted to keep it up to date with every 2.5.xprexx kernal out there. Given that you can now find slackware, debian, and other profiles for it, I would say it's actually easier to set up than it has been in the past. NSA says on their page however, that it isn't meant to be a "complete security solution", but I think it definatly adds quote a bit of additional secirity, mainly because it works a bit differently from the normal unix security, while leaving that intact. In effect, non-root programs have to make it through two, seperate, security layers. Root programs suddenly don't have "god" power over everything, but only power over what they need. (assuming that profiles are set up appropriately).

 As to wether SELinux is more appropriate or some other similar LSM project... I don't know myself.

  • noah silva