Research

Re: Proposed policy feature: $1_domain attribute

From: Russell Coker <russell_at_coker.com.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:32:26 +1000

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 00:58, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2@cornell.edu> wrote:
> I'd like to mark all role-dependent domains with a new attribute
> $1_domain (analogous to $1_file_type), and then do the following in
> base_user_macros.te:
>
> can_ps($1, $1_domain)
> can_ptrace($1, $1_domain)
>
> Objections?

I'm catching up on email.

I object to the policy you suggest above for the same reasons as everyone else.

However I believe that there is one significant point which has been overlooked.

If I want to allow a domain (such as staff_t) to be able to manage the role user_r then there is currently no complete way of doing it. Policy such as the following is commonly used to allow staff_t to kill user processes that are doing undesired things:
can_ps(staff_t, user_t)
allow staff_t user_t:process signal;

This of course doesn't permit staff_t to see or kill user_gpg_t etc.

Something like the following might be useful: can_ps(staff_t, user_domain)
allow staff_t user_domain:process signal;

If I was running a university shell server I would probably give some trusted postgrad students access to UID 0 and have policy such as the following: can_ps(postgrad_t, user_domain)
allow postgrad_t user_domain:process signal;

That would keep the under-graduate students in line...

So I think that having an attribute for user domains makes sense. Having an attribute named user_domain as well as an attribute userdomain is a bad idea. The name $1_domain seems appropriate, so maybe we should rename the current userdomain attribute to user_login_domain (which is a better name anyway) before implementing this.

We could then have assertions to prevent the obvious mistakes such as allowing ptrace of a more privileged process in the policy macros for gpg etc.