Skip Navigation

What help is available for single parents?


The U.S. government provides a range of programs to assist single parents. provides a site where you can learn if you may be eligible for any federal government assistance. Contact information is also included.

HHS supports programs that can provide help with child care, free or low-cost health insurance and health care, child development, low-income home energy assistance (LIHEAP), and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF). Most of these programs are administered by States, Territories, Tribal or community organizations and you should contact your local social services department (in the blue government pages of your local telephone directory) for application and eligibility information. 

General information and contact information are available for the following programs at—

Child care,


State Children’s Health Insurance Program, 

Health care centers,

Head Start,

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program,

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families,

For additional information from your state Web sites you can find a list of states at:



Last Updated: 04/28/2008