Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:41:02 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Cracked Cylinder Record

I have not experienced this with CEP or any other audio editing program. Perhaps there is some menu switch you need to set? joe s Terry Smythe wrote: > Someone has loaned me a cylinder record of about 1905, > containing a one-only recording of a folksong by turn-of-the- > century railway workers. The record has an irregular > hairline crack full length. > > I am attempting to acquire a reasonable audio recording off this > cylinder as being played on my restored Edison Triumph cylinder > phonograph. > > I'm recording straight into Cool Edit Pro 2 in my laptop, a > process I've used successfully for many cylinder records. > > Because of the hairline crack, every resolution produces a > resounding "click". > > In CoolEditPro, I can use automatic click removal, but that > automatic process leaves behind a tiny moment of silence for > everything it removes. > > If I expand the wave display so I can identify and delete the > clicks manually, there is no gap, the click simply disappears > with no moment of silence, which is what I want. > > I really want to avoid having to spend an entire weekend going > through the WAV file click by click by click by nauseating > click. > > Does any one out there know if CoolEdit Pro can be told to > delete such clicks automatically, without leaving behind a > zillion tiny moments of silence? > > Alternatively, is there an audio editor out there that can > remove these clicks automatically without leaving behind these > tiny moments of silence? > > Or am I doomed to a weekend of agony? > > Thoughts of others? > > Regards, > > Terry Smythe > > > > Terry Smythe 204-832-3982 (land line) > 55 Rowand Avenue 204-981-3229 (cell) > Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3J 2N6 [log in to unmask] > Preserving a unique slice of our Musical Heritage > http://members.shaw.ca/smythe/rebirth.htm >