Discussion participants were generally very supportive
of the chapter and proposed objectives.
There was agreement that this chapter is critical and should remain a separate chapter in
version of Healthy People 2010.
Need to examine and include additional potential sources of
data for several of the
developmental objectives (avoid focusing on one group or organization only).
Comments on Introduction and front
- Make "health communication" definition stand out
- Add to discussion about "channels" of
- Include "decision support" as a function of health
- Definition of "health education" should be the
standard definition proposed by Green and Kreuter.
- Highlight needs assessment in evaluation section. Include
action-oriented results and measures in evaluation section.
Comments on specific objectives:
- Objective 1. "Remote" populations should be
included as technologically underserved.
- Objective 2. Define what "centers of excellence"
are. Other data sources should be included.
- Objective 3. Other data sources should be included.
- Objective 4. Measuring user "satisfaction" is very
subjective. Consider measuring access to "evidence-based" information.
- Objective 5. AHECs are provider-focused, they do not provide
services to the public, therefore they are not appropriate vehicle for public education
programs. Consider substituting "community-based programs" instead and
specifying these to include public health departments, schools, places of worship,
libraries). Also need to define "health literacy."
- Objective 6. Expand this to include other sources of
information, such as TV.
- Objective 7. Consider including other health professional
schools under data sources, such as schools of nursing, physician assistants, dentistry,
osteopathic medicine, public health, pharmacy, physical therapy, and social work. Consider
adding another objective about continuing education activities. This is needed to focus
more on education of individual professionals rather than on formal curriculum.