Read about FDA Investigators and then help Mac & Molly inspect a warehouse.
- Approximately 1,000 men and women with FDA inspect places including drug manufacturers, blood banks, food manufacturers and warehouses, and medical device manufacturers.
- There are more than 120,000 places in the United States that FDA investigators must inspect.
- Investigators are always on the lookout for:
- holes in the walls or ceilings
- overflowing garbage in food processing areas
- Investigators need to know about medicine, chemistry, and computers. Most investigators studied science in college.
- During an inspection, investigators first look to see if everything is being done, according to the company's and FDA's manufacturing standards. Then they review manufacturing records to make sure every step required to produce the product is correct.
- Investigators ask a lot of questions.
- Investigators also handle special assignments, such as helping consumers who have bought defective or tainted products, and making sure all recalled products are pulled from store shelves.