The Chronicle of Higher Education
Forums
January 15, 2009, 10:30:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. To post on these forums, please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
Highlights: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Excuse my absence?  (Read 3168 times)
amiyou

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »

I have so far received three emails from new students (we start tomorrow) saying they are on holiday out of the country or whereever and will return next week and this email is to serve to excuse their absences until they care to return! Oh, and each said they can surely make up any missed work when they return. Isn't that quite presumptuous? I've never had such emails, and three in the last two days from different students? That strikes me as odd...

My email in return was there are no "excused" absences, muchless can a student excuse him/herself, and they need to do a whole list of tasks to stay in the class. I suggested that if their respective holidays were so important that they had to miss the first two classes, they should take another professor or enter a later class.

I'm a bit floored at the nerve of these students and the tone they used. What gives? I'm annoyed already, and class hasn't even started!
european
Dis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:41:42 PM »

While I can't judge tone, what would you rather have: a student who politely clarifies to you that they can't make the first class, or a student who doesn't notify you about this at all?
mountainguy
new, improved, and rabbit-tested
Distinguished Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:44:14 PM »

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that, amiyou. That does take chutzpah.

A few thoughts:

1. Don't take the absences personally. The students don't know you yet and are just testing the system.

2. What is your school's official policy on attendance? Be sure you remind the students of whatever that is. If the undergraduate catalog (or whatever other document covers attendance) states "no excused absences," then you're in the clear. If you're at a school like mine that has a list of conditions for "excused absences," be sure you provide the students with that list and your procedures for requesting an excused absence. (That having been said, an extended vacation would not qualify as an excused absence at my university).

3. Do not go out of your way to "catch up" or to otherwise teach missed material to students who missed the first few days. I'd provide them with the syllabus and any other handouts you gave to the class, and that would be it. Make them get copies of the notes from other students before you meet with them, and only then should you make yourself available to answer specific questions. (At my school, most absent students never reach this point, and the ones who do are usually motivated students who I'm glad to speak with).

4. Can you give quizzes/homework for the next few days? Even if you don't have that built into the syllabus, I would still do some type of formative assessment (ie, practice quizzes) so that the absent students get the message that they're behind.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."--Douglas Adams
polly_mer
Celebrating my unique and beautiful crystalline dendritic structure in style

Please be kind. My sarcasm detector is maxed out.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:45:33 PM »

European, I think the problem is "why on earth aren't those students back in time for class?"

I understand emailing with the "I am snowed in and won't be able to make it back in time.  Please don't disenroll me." plea.

I think Amiyou is objecting to the "Hey, dude.  I'm gonna be fashionably late to your class.  Just chill and I'll be there when I get there" attitude that most of these type of emails have.

It's 43 posts to VDSM, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
anthroid
Watching unscrupulous elves of the tundra for 18 years.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:46:31 PM »

While I can't judge tone, what would you rather have: a student who politely clarifies to you that they can't make the first class, or a student who doesn't notify you about this at all?

Neither.  I want students who show up to the first day of class.  I don't care why they aren't there, unless it involves a hospital stay and a police report.  Their priorities are skewed, and I certainly would not accept any late work.  These students have chosen to extend hols despite knowing when classes begin, and they are demanding accomodation for a two class absence.  They will not do well.  Start out as you mean to conclude.

I can explain it again but I can't understand it for you.  --The Sparrow
european
Dis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:51:51 PM »

European, I think the problem is "why on earth aren't those students back in time for class?"

I understand emailing with the "I am snowed in and won't be able to make it back in time.  Please don't disenroll me." plea.

I think Amiyou is objecting to the "Hey, dude.  I'm gonna be fashionably late to your class.  Just chill and I'll be there when I get there" attitude that most of these type of emails have.
That makes sense. I'd just not make any special accomodations for them. If they missed something (other than hand-outs), it's their job to make arrangements (if they need notes) or their job to deal with a bad grade (if they've been absent on tests or haven't handed in homework - which I admittedly cannot fathom being handed out in the first few classes yet, but maybe that's due to the local system).
polly_mer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »

I'd just not make any special accomodations for them. If they missed something (other than hand-outs), it's their job to make arrangements (if they need notes) or their job to deal with a bad grade (if they've been absent on tests or haven't handed in homework - which I admittedly cannot fathom being handed out in the first few classes yet, but maybe that's due to the local system).

Well, some of us actually lecture on the first day and yes, homework is indeed due on the second day of classes for some topics.

It's 43 posts to VDSM, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
thenewyorker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:20:23 PM »

I had a similar email a day ago. Hu is going to China (where hu is from) and is going to stay through the New Year festivities. I just told him that his absences would count as absences and he would  have the consequences if anything was due during his time away (ie. I am not accepting anything late) and that under no circumstances is he to ask me what he missed.

He emailed back "ok." But then proceeded to ask if I could have the syllabus up on blackboard so he could consult it before he left. He leaves in a few days. Class stars in roughly three weeks. I have barely begun to think about the syllabus.

And as far as I know, China does have the internet these days....

Looking isn't as easy as it looks. Ad Reinhardt
sciencephd

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »

Not all of it.

Jews, communists, "lesbians", feminists and marihuana addicts  --Pyshnov
Universities were flooded with "females"   --Pyshnov
polly_mer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »

Not all of it.

and not access to all websites, subject to random censors whim.

bigstateu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 10:08:57 PM »

I send them a nice note explaining what absences are excused (e.g. note from a doctor, funeral home, or dean with required documentation etc.), I explain that their absences do not meet these criteria and are thus unexcused. I explain that they are responsible for all missed material and for meeting all existing course deadlines.

I tell them to enjoy their travels and that I look forward to having them in the class when they return.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Current Custodian of the Zambartini Beer Cart

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 10:10:05 PM »

I'd just not make any special accomodations for them. If they missed something (other than hand-outs), it's their job to make arrangements (if they need notes) or their job to deal with a bad grade (if they've been absent on tests or haven't handed in homework - which I admittedly cannot fathom being handed out in the first few classes yet, but maybe that's due to the local system).

Well, some of us actually lecture on the first day and yes, homework is indeed due on the second day of classes for some topics.

In my second semester class, I break the students up into groups to help knock out the cobwebs and work on an assignment (concepts from the first semester they are going to need right away) on the first day.

On the second day, they have a reading quiz.

And that's for my 3 days/week class.

Alan
egilson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 10:17:09 PM »

Not all of it.

Only that part that is home to the person who stole my SS number, address, and (now completely invalid) bank account information, which someone here at the university had copied to an Web-accessible and unsecured database as part of some project.

Nope, not bitter at all.

thenewyorker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »

Not all of it.

I stand corrected.
Hu is from Beijing. I know China censors, but I assumed academic websites would be accessible.

Looking isn't as easy as it looks. Ad Reinhardt
polly_mer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 10:24:40 PM »

Not all of it.

I stand corrected.
Hu is from Beijing. I know China censors, but I assumed academic websites would be accessible.

Yes, your student should be able to access the internet from Beijing.  However, considering that censors have blocked The New York Times website in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they blocked other pretty standard sites at other times.

Still, it is pretty irresponsible of your student to expect to miss the first few days of class and insist that you be ready for something that doesn't start for a few weeks now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: