The Chronicle of Higher Education
Forums
January 15, 2009, 10:40:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. To post on these forums, please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
Highlights: Discuss the challenges faced by dual-career couples in our forum.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiring Freeze!  (Read 33635 times)
andreapsy
I will buy a williams sonoma blender with my starup package!

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2008, 01:24:27 PM »

Yeah! Just went I was getting my job search anxiety (read panic) under control, here comes Boston University ordering a hiring freeze! Apparently it doesn't apply to already approved positions, but still... Jesus! what a year to be on the market!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:35:22 PM by moderator » Logged
jwormold
Vaptacular

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »

This happened a lot last year, too (e.g., Cal State). Fun times!

Congrats to jwormold for having a great backbone. ("Wormold's got back . . ." woo woo woo).
imawakenow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »

Someone posted on another thread that Salisbury (Md) has a hiring freeze.

I also heard from a friend that Maryland is about to or has already put a hiring freeze in place (although it's not entirely clear if this means all searches would be cancelled, postponed or taken on a case-by-case basis).

Yes, it's a crazy year to be on the market.
omgacademe
Don't blame me. I'm just a

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »

I swear this year is worse than last year, at least in my field.  I get more and more concerned every day when only a very few jobs - if any - are posted.

Secretweapon (2008)
OMGacademe, you are obviously the OMG expert.
tenured_feminist
Distinguished Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »

I think that Oklahoma, Florida, and Georgia are all frozen, and I believe that a total freeze is in the works for SUNY and CUNY. Can anyone confirm or deny?
andreapsy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:02:20 PM »

Jesus!!! Now I'm regretting I posted this! As if I didn't have enough anxiety already :-)
omgacademe
Don't blame me. I'm just a

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:09:37 PM »

I think that Oklahoma, Florida, and Georgia are all frozen, and I believe that a total freeze is in the works for SUNY and CUNY. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I really, REALLY hope this turns out to be false.  Geez, I am so glad that I went through several years of extra school just to learn that no one can hire me. 

Secretweapon (2008)
OMGacademe, you are obviously the OMG expert.
studentsmakemesleepy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »

Don't freak (yet) :).

Just because the wiki doesn't seem to be getting the same kinda traffic this year as last year doesn't mean the world has stopped spinning.  In the humanities market, for example, the MLA folks actually pushed up the start of their listings for the big conference by a month!

Needless to say, there was not as much material coming out on the list on day 1 as there was last year, BUT -- today is only October 1st... more and more jobs from bigger and sexier places keeps trickling in as committees get their ads approved and out.  The jobs are coming at a regular and steady pace.

Having said that, I believe you could add another couple Southern state to supposedly frozen status.  Granted, emergency hires do mitigate a lot of those freezes... so consider the states mostly frozen, but still not entirely safe to skate on yet.  

Relax, y'all!

-SMMS
tenured_feminist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 04:15:57 PM »

Don't freak out yet, everyone. This happens from time to time -- the last big one I remember was around 2002.

What I am telling my graduate students is that this is a good reason to be sure that applications are in broadly, complete, and early this year. I think it may also mean (ironically) that the market is a little better than usual for the next few months. If a state uni fears losing its line, it has an incentive to fill that line, so many state R1s/H or VH RUs may not use the first round of interviews to chase after the top stars on the market, only to lose them to another top university after having been used to extract concessions.

Control what you can. Get the application in as good shape as possible, write a lot, send some stuff out for publication. I was talking with someone the other day and we were speculating that if a real meltdown occurs, this might also turn out to be a very good year for visiting jobs that will be advertised in the spring.

Hopefully the financial wreck will shake out and the dust will settle before next year, but states with strong ties to the finance industries may not have much going next year.
nonanona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 04:25:07 PM »

Some of us have to wait for the fiscal year to start later this month, and we won't know till then if we can hire or not.
teeban
is getting a makeover.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 04:30:12 PM »

My state is frozen. Adjunct hires only. Yippee.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -George Carlin
andreapsy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 04:31:39 PM »

My state is frozen. Adjunct hires only. Yippee.

And that would be?????
losemygrip

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »

Georgia is NOT frozen.  Yet.  Every couple of weeks there's worse budget information.  If it gets up to 10% (and it's looking that way), yes, there'll be cuts.  However, not necessarily everything will get cut.  No one has actually talked about a total freeze yet.  Some searches would go on (and that's always the way with these freezes).
undisciplined
Suddenly Smarter Since I Became A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:29:36 AM »

Okay, so which states are frozen? Please chime in you have reliable info.

Shoes always matter.
secretweapon
Still Onion's Minion though a

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »

Jesus!!! Now I'm regretting I posted this! As if I didn't have enough anxiety already :-)

I don't think Jesus gets much say in the matter.

T_F, those are encouraging words.  Many people would be delighted to have the whole thing wrapped up quickly so that they can make other plans if the worst happens.

English:  it's not just for English class anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: