Social Security Number Verification Service (SSNVS)
Verifying all names and SSNs with SSNVS before you submit can speed the processing of your submissions.
Correct names and SSNs on W-2 wage reports are the keys to the successful processing of your annual wage report submission.
There are three ways to file electronically:
Why Should I File Online?
- Upload a Wage Report – The software used to create reports that are uploaded to Social Security Administration
(SSA) must be formatted to
SSA’s Specifications for Filing Forms W-2 Electronically (EFW2/EFW2C). Check your wage reporting format with the
AccuWage test tool prior to submitting. It allows you to check wage reports for correctness before you send them to SSA.
- W-2 Online - Complete up to 20 Forms W-2 right on your computer, electronically submit them to SSA and print copies suitable for
distribution to your employees. No software is needed.
- W-2c Online – Complete up to 5 Forms W-2c on your computer, electronically submit them to SSA and print copies suitable for distribution
to your employees. No software is needed.
Step by Step:
- It is free, fast and secure.
- It saves time and reduces filing burden.
- It offers a later filing deadline (electronic filers have until the last day of March vs. the last day of February for all
- It provides an immediate receipt for proof of filing.
Access all three e-filing options via the Business Services Online (BSO) website.
- Register to file (Registration is required). From the BSO website, select Registration.
A User ID will be issued immediately. At that time you choose your own password. You will be presented with five questions to answer.
(Should you forget your password in the future, all you will have to do is answer three of the five questions correctly.) Third-party
preparers need only register once in their own firm’s name.
*Check your wage reporting format with AccuWage prior to submitting.
*Verify names and SSNs with SSNVS
prior to submitting.
- Return to the BSO website and Login using your User ID and password.
- Select “Submit a W-2 Wage File” or one of the options under “Create Forms W-2 Online.”
Complete Registration Information
How to File Correction Forms
W-2c Online - You can now complete up to 5 Forms W-2c right on your computer, electronically submit them to SSA and print copies
suitable for distribution to your employees. See the
BSO Electronic W-2 Filing Handbook for more information, including step-by-step instructions.
More Information about Filing Correction Reports
Electronic Data Transfer Option for Federal and State Agencies
Electronic Data Transfer is an alternative to Internet filing that allows Federal and State agencies to transfer annual wage data directly to SSA using
a dedicated-circuit connection. Participation in the EDT program is by special arrangement with SSA.
Electronic Data Transfer Guide
Additional e-Filing Resources
What’s New for TY 2008
Business Services Online Handbook
Paper W-2 Filing
Filing fewer than 20 W-2s? It’s easy to file electronically with W-2 Online.
Resources for Paper Filers:
Magnetic Media Filing
Social Security no longer accepts magnetic tapes, cartridges, or 3 1/2" diskettes. All wages must be filed either electronically or on paper.
If you use off-the-shelf software to prepare your wage reports and it does not offer electronic filing, contact the software company.
For a list of companies that offer wage reporting services and/or products, visit SSA's Vendor List.