Skip directly to: content | left navigation | search

What Can I Do?

Quick Links
  • How to Talk to Your Doctor (Coming Soon)

People concerned about asbestos exposure should review the informational materials on this Web site. If you think you have been exposed you should take action and inform your doctor. Even if you don’t feel sick tell your doctor that you might have been exposed to asbestos. Most people don’t show any signs or symptoms of asbestos related disease for 10 to 20 years or more after exposure. Only a doctor can tell if you have any health problems due to asbestos exposure. Your doctor may refer you to a specialist who treats diseases caused by asbestos.

Finding a Doctor / Physician Referrals

Often the best source for a referral is your own primary care physician. Usually, this person will be well aware of local medical specialists and resources.

Other sources of referral include your local hospital/medical center's "physician referral line" and local academic medical centers.

Below is an alphabetical list of links to other sources for referrals. This list is by no means exhaustive, but each of these links has a "doctor finder" feature. ATSDR suggests looking for physicians who specialize in pulmonary medicine or occupational medicine/environmental medicine.


This page last updated on October 29, 2008