Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
4th Edition, 2008
The Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases provides current guidelines for those directly involved in surveillance of vaccine-preventable diseases, especially personnel at the local health departments. For each of the vaccine-preventable diseases, this manual includes a chapter describing the importance of rapid case identification; the importance of surveillance; disease reduction goals; case definitions (including clinical description and case classifications); epidemiologically important data to be collected during case investigation; activities for enhancing surveillance; activities for case investigation; and activities for outbreak control. Other chapters include information on surveillance indicators; surveillance data analyses; reporting adverse events following vaccination; and enhancing surveillance. In addition, the manual includes a section reserved for insertion of state-specific guidance for VPD surveillance and extensive appendices.
On This Page:
This manual is available only through this website and is no longer offered in a printed version. Offering the manual online keeps the manual as current as possible. As changes occur, the chapters will be replaced with updated versions.
These compressed bundles, saved in .zip format, contain all the files for each section (outlined below) and may have a file size prohibitive to those with slow Internet connections.
- All Front Matter (PDF 269 KB)
- All Chapters (PDF 3.43 MB)
WARNING:file size is large and will take a while to download.
- All Appendices (?? MB) Coming Soon
The individual files of the 2008 Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases are listed below and were initially posted August 2008.
List of Front Matter
- Front portion of manual (PDF 269 KB)
Cover, spine, title pages (titles and acknowledgements), acronyms, definition of terms, table of contents, introduction, etc.
The first link goes directly to the chapter's web page. However, most will want to print these chapters using the second link (PDF) which opens in Adobe Reader.
- Chapter 1: Diphtheria ( PDF 359 KB)
- Chapter 2: Haemophilus influenzae type b ( PDF 366 KB)
- Chapter 3: Hepatitis A ( PDF 321 KB)
- Chapter 4: Hepatitis B ( PDF 413 KB)
- Chapter 5: Human Papillomavirus ( PDF 366 KB)
- Chapter 6: Influenza ( PDF 282 KB)
- Chapter 7: Measles ( PDF 531 KB)
- Chapter 8: Meningococcal ( PDF 350 KB)
- Chapter 9: Mumps ( PDF 423 KB)
Note: Guidance related to the duration of time that mumps patients should be isolated following onset of symptoms has changed. Consult the MMWR: Updated Recommendations for Isolation of Persons with Mumps. This MMWR supersedes the outdated information found in Chapter 9: Mumps in Section XIII - Outbreak Control. (October 2008)
- Chapter 10: Pertussis ( PDF 458 KB)
- Chapter 11: Pneumococcal ( PDF 431 KB)
- Chapter 12: Polio ( PDF 97 KB) Note: This chapter is not yet available.
Meanwhile, please consult last edition's Polio Chapter.
- Chapter 13: Rotavirus ( PDF 430 KB)
- Chapter 14: Rubella ( PDF 434 KB)
- Chapter 15: Congenital Rubella Syndrome ( PDF 366 KB)
- Chapter 16: Tetanus ( PDF 407 KB)
- Chapter 17: Varicella ( PDF 508 KB)
- Chapter 18: Surveillance Indicators ( PDF 324 KB)
- Chapter 19: Enhancing Surveillance ( PDF 292 KB)
- Chapter 20: Analysis of Surveillance Data ( PDF 357 KB)
- Chapter 21: Surveillance for Adverse Events Following Vaccination ( PDF 417 KB)
- Chapter 22: Laboratory Support for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases ( PDF 749 KB)
- Chapter 23: National Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases ( PDF 294 KB)
- Chapter 24: State-Specific Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases ( PDF 140 KB)
Below is a list of appendices for the Manual of Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases. As they are completed, a link will be provided to the appendix. Please check back often. If you wish to be notified by email when this web page is updated and hence when appendices are added, please use the Get Email Updates link located at the top of this page.
Appendix 1: Collection of Specimens for Isolation of C. diphtheriae (Ch. 1) (168 KB, 1 page) Dec 5, 2008
Appendix 2: Guidelines for managing a suspected case of diphtheria and for managing contacts (Ch. 1) (433 KB, 10 pages) Dec 5, 2008
Appendix 3: CDC Diphtheria Worksheet (Ch. 1)
Appendix 5: Haemophilus influenzae type b Vaccine and Extended Information Worksheet (Ch. 2)
Appendix 6: Hepatitis Data Collection Worksheet (Ch. 3 and 4)
Appendix 7: Measles Virus Isolation Instructions (Ch. 7) (298 KB, 4 pages)
JAN 8, 2009 LINK TEMPORARILY REMOVED WHILE CHANGES ARE BEING MADE
- Appendix 8: Measles Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 7)
- (Instructions) (166 KB, 2 pages) new Jan 8, 2009
- (Worksheet) (385 KB, 2 pages) new JAN 8, 2009
Appendix 9: Meningococcal Disease Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 8)
– Version 1 (formerly NETSS)
- Version 2 (formerly NEDSS)
Appendix 10: Mumps Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 9)
Appendix 11: Pertussis Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 10)
Appendix 12: Pertussis Death Worksheet (Ch. 10)
Appendix 13: Streptococcus pneumoniae Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 11)
Appendix 14: Suspected Polio Case worksheet Investigation of suspected case of poliomyelitis (Ch. 12)
Appendix 15: Collection of Specimens for Typing of Rubella Virus (Ch. 14)
Appendix 16: Rubella Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 14)
Appendix 17: Congenital Rubella Syndrome Case Report (Ch. 15)
Appendix 18: Tetanus Surveillance Worksheet (Ch. 16)
Appendix 19: Varicella Death Investigation Worksheet (Ch. 17)
Appendix 20: Varicella Outbreak Reporting & Surveillance Worksheets (Ch. 17)
- (Reporting Worksheet)
- (Surveillance Worksheet)
Appendix 21: Updated Guidelines for Evaluating Public Health Surveillance Systems (Ch. 18)
Appendix 22: VAERS form (Ch. 21)
Appendix 23: CDC Specimen Submission Form (Ch. 22) (393 KB, 1 page) new JAN 8, 2009
Appendix 24: Interstate Shipment of Etiologic Agents / Packaging and Shipping of Biomedical Material (Ch. 22)
* Due to the large size of this file, please be patient while the file is being downloaded. If the file does not download after a few minutes, close all open applications and reboot your computer before trying again.
Accessibility Note: Due to the content of these documents, they are provided as files. If you need text-only formatted files for screen-reader devices, please contact NIPINFO@cdc.gov.
Non-CDC Link Disclaimer: Links to non-Federal organizations found at this site are provided solely as a service to our users. These links do not constitute an endorsement of these organizations or their programs by CDC or the Federal Government, and none should be inferred. The CDC is not responsible for the content of the individual organization web pages found at these links.
.pdf files: To view and print the .pdf files on this site, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Use this link to obtain a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader (exit). We highly recommend that you upgrade to the latest version if haven't already.
Content last reviewed on August 26, 2008
Content Source: National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases