Really basic problem getting contour plots

Message from the ncbrowse mail list.

Hello,
  I've just downloaded and successfully installed ncBrowse on Windows.
I'm viewing netCDF files.
I'm  using the 'quick plot' option. I can get a contour map of a variable which is a 2d spatial variable e.g. depth(x,y).
However most of our data (numerical model output) is in a form with three or four independent variables e.g. elevation (t,x,y),  or temperature(t,x,y,z).
Whenever I try and plot these variables I just get a message window with an OK button saying "Reading Axes from <fn>", where <fn> is the netCDF file.
Nothing happens after that. If I click on the OK button, still nothing happens.

I've tried the more complex form of plotting by using New Map, but basically the same thing happens, although instead I get the message "Processing VMapModel for <variable> from <fn>".

The netCdf files are about 2.5Gbytes - is it just taking a long time to read? However there is no indication that any disk access is taking place and CPU activity is flat.
I'm wondering if there is some information missing in our netCDF files, or am I doing something wrong?

Hope you can help.
Regards
John Aldridge

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.  Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender.  In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent.  All emails may be subject to monitoring.