Taxes – What You Need to Know – Responsibilities & Benefits!
The IRS and the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) worked together to develop the Tax Toolkit. TAS is an independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm, who are seeking help in resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels, or who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should.
The online toolkit, both English and Spanish versions, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and makes it easier for you to:
- Understand basic tax information
- Determine if you need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Learn about special tax credits
- Help prevent identity theft
- Understand why it’s important to follow the tax laws
- Learn more about the tax-related issues of starting a small business
- Understand your options when you owe the IRS money
- Get your tax refund quickly and fairly
New on the Tax Toolkit: National Taxpayer Advocate Nina Olson has recorded a series of podcasts on important tax issues. You can view our featured podcast, "When to Come to TAS," and others on this page of the Toolkit.
For a printed copy of the toolkit, call 1-800-829-3676 and request Publication 4659 or 4659 SP (Spanish version).
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: May 06, 2008