SEE ALSO: On
the 50th Anniversary of the Clinical Center's Opening
Construction of the Clinical Center was started.
June 22, 1951
The cornerstone ceremony was officiated by Oscar R. Ewing, Federal Security
Administrator. President Harry S. Truman was the honored guest.
July 2, 1953
Department of Health, Education and Welfare Secretary Oveta Culp Hobby
dedicated the Clinical Center.
Oct. 22, 1981
The ambulatory care research facility was dedicated. The research hospital
was renamed the Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center.
Sep. 20, 1982
The National Institute of Aging's Laboratory of Neurosciences was dedicated.
Mar. 22, 1984
The first magnetic resonance imaging unit became operational for patient
The National Cancer Institute's Radiation Oncology building was dedicated.
Apr. 13, 1985
The first two cyclotrons were delivered to the underground facility operated
by the Nuclear Medicine Department.
Nov. 20, 1987
The Lipsett Amphitheater was dedicated.
Sep. 14, 1990
A 4-year-old patient with adenosine deaminate deficiency was the first
to receive gene therapy treatment.
Apr. 8, 1991
The Department of Transfusion Medicine opened its state-of-the-art facility.
The A-wing addition was completed, adding National Cancer Institute and
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases labs focusing on
The hematology/bone marrow unit opened to improve transplant procedures
and develop gene therapy techniques.
The first multi-Institute unit designed and staffed for children opened.
Details on clinical research studies conducted at the Clinical Center
were made available on the World Wide Web (http://clinicalstudies.info.nih.gov),
increasing opportunities for physicians to participate in NIH clinical
The Secretary of Health and Human Services, marking a new governing system
for the Clinical Center, appointed a Board of Governors.
To meet increasing investigative needs for cell products used in
immunotherapy, gene therapy and stem cell transplantation, a cell
processing facility was created.
Nov. 4, 1997
Vice President Al Gore and Senator Mark O. Hatfield attended groundbreaking
ceremonies for the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center.
July 1, 1944
Public Law 78-410, the Public Health Service Act, authorized establishment
of the Clinical Center.
July 8, 1947
Under Public Law 80-165, research construction provisions of the Appropriations
Act for Fiscal Year 1948 provided funds "For the acquisition of a site,
and the preparation of plans, specifications and drawings, for additional
research buildings and a 600-bed clinical research hospital and necessary
accessory buildings related thereto to be used in general medical research…."
Dec. 12, 1980
Senate Joint Resolution 213 designated the Clinical Center as the "Warren
Grant Magnuson Clinical Center of the National Institutes of Health."
Sep. 12, 1996
House Resolution 3755, Section 218, named the new clinical research center
at the National Institutes of Health as the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical
July 9, 2004
The NIH Clinical Center marks its 50th anniversary.
Sep. 22, 2004
Dedication ceremony held for the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center.