Programs, Databases and Resources
Access to care: Patients tired of waiting in your clinic?
- The C.D.C. provides software to perform Patient Flow Analysis (P.F.A.).
Accuracy of using R.P.M.S. data for measuring Pap smear screening rates
- Acrobat Reader download of an I.H.S. Primary Provider issue (large download: 1311K) from I.H.S. Web site; see page 88
Alcohol: Helping patients with alcohol problems, including during pregnancy
- CAGE and other clinical metrics: A pdf file.
Breast Cancer: What does the CDC breast and cervical cancer screening program have to offer?
- CDC offers a large National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program
Breast Cancer: encourage disadvantaged women to have mammograms
- Many women do not receive screening mammograms
Breastfeeding and Pregnancy: Medications
- Free website for medications and breastfeeding that is useful and credible
'Centering' or group prenatal visits
Clinical Basics - UpToDate Sites
Gynecology UpToDate (TM) Table of Contents
- Vast clinical resource on virtually all gynecology topics. Examples - each subject is a separate link; What's new, Gynecologic oncology, Gynecologic surgery, Office gynecology, Patient information, Pelvic med reconstruct surgery, and Reproductive endocrine female
Obstetrics UpToDate (TM) Table of Contents
- Vast clinical resource on virtually all obstetric topics. Examples: What's New, Antenatal care, Critical care obstetrics, Fetoplacental physiology, Labor and delivery, Maternal medical problems, Neonatology, Patient information, Postpartum issues, and Pregnancy complications
Women's Health UpToDate (TM) Table of Contents
- Vast clinical resource on virtually all women's health topics. Examples - each subject is a separate link; What's new, Breast cancer, General medical issues in women, Gynecologic oncology, Patient information, and Reproductive endocrine female
Clinical Guidelines: National Council of Chief Clinical Consultants
E.A.P. - What is the Employee Assistance Program (E.A.P.)?
- E.A.P. provides professional counseling services for HHS employees
Evidence Based Medicine
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality site is a state of the art evidence based practice website.
- Cochrane Library - Large database of evidence-based systematic reviews. Good for clinical care and to develop clinical guidelines.
Learn to teach in an Evidence based manner
- UpToDate offers several examples of how to apply evidence-based principles
- Morbidity and mortality discussions: CME available: CME available
Grants and Funding Opportunities
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, A.H.R.Q.
C.D.C Grants and Cooperative Agreements page
- The C.D.C Grants and Cooperative Agreements page lists current projects and funding
Funding opportunities from multiple sources updated by C.D.C./A.T.S.D.R.
- See the current Women's Health Update
Health departments take action: racial and ethnic disparities in health
- State-by-state searchable database on the N.A.C.C.H.O. Web site
Female deaths increase
- American Indian females, age-adjusted death rates increased by 4.5% according to the C.D.C. Downloadable Acrobat Reader (.PDF) file [note: large file - 2.2 MB]
Indian Health Focus: Women
- American Indian and Alaska Native women and their health. Large download: Acrobat Reader (.PDF) - 1.28 MB
Major Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) During 1997-1999 and Major CVD Hospital Discharge Rates in 1997 Among Women with Diabetes
- United States Findings indicate that the age-adjusted prevalence of major CVD for women - this C.D.C. report is available on-line
Pregnancy-Related Mortality Surveillance
- Thorough list of objectives from multiple sources
- A HRSA website dedicated to the history of Maternal Child Health in the United States
IHS Clinical Information
- Chapter 13, Maternal Child Health IHS Manual Part 3
- Clinical Information Resources site: Guidelines, journals, etc.
- IHS Manual
- IHS Statistics
- Indian Health Clinical workload data
- Regional Differences in Indian Health 2000-2001
- Trends in Indian Health 2000-2001
IHS Clinical Support Center
Internatal Care: Dr. Milton Kotelchuck (PPT 2MB)
National Center for Health Statistics: Infant mortality database with state data by race, etc . . .
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, CDC
Birth injury, suffocation, homicide, MVA, falls, drowning: type in your specific variables
Native American Pap Initiative: 'See and Treat' Program
- Pap test screening, education and treatment in one visit.
- Day in, day out - outreach pays off: December 2001
- Finding our way-and having fun: November 2003
Native Health Databases, University of New Mexico
Perinatal Study at Keams 1979, Charles North M.D.
- Interesting information for historical comparison (PowerPoint Presentation in 5 parts)
|Part 1 - 3MB||›||Part 2 - 3MB|
|Part 3 - 3MB||›||Part 4 - 3MB|
|Part 5 - 2MB|
IHS Photo Gallery: 1000's of photos available
- Please use the following credit line: Photo Courtesy of the Indian Health Service/U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Safety: What is the evidence for the effectiveness of safety improving practices?
Need some statistics on Women's Health in Indian Country?
- Try the IHS Program Statistics site. Among other sources, try "Focus on Women"
Violence Against Native Women
Women's Health Data Book from Kaiser
- Fact Sheet: Data Book Highlights
Women's Health USA 2003, Maternal and Child Health Bureau
- Population characteristics, health status, and health services utilization
Women's Reproductive Health
- C.D.C. offers strategies to improve women's reproductive health