Let’s Work Together
The NHSC wants to help make your community healthier. We can work
with your community to increase health care access for the underserved
by building upon your community’s strengths and linking your community
with clinicians who care.
If your community is
- Rural or urban, serving high-need populations
- Designated as having a shortage area for primary care, mental
health, or dental health services
- Currently employing or seeking to employ NHSC primary health
- Developing innovative programs to reach the medically underserved
If you are a State or regional intermediary working with
communities toward similar goals...
NHSC can help!
community already working with NHSC?
How We Can Help
NHSC helps underserved communities recruit and retain dedicated
clinicians to meet their residents’ health care needs. We can help
your community do this by assisting in your efforts to:
- Build community partnerships
- Design and implement a discounted fee schedule or other means
for providing affordable care
- Maximize revenue from Federal programs such as the Rural Health
Clinic and Federally Qualified Health Center Programs
- Identify ways to support uncompensated care through other grant
programs (State and/or Federal) to ensure that your site remains
- Establish an integrated system of care that includes the uninsured
- Link with other communities and sites that have "done it"
How will your community benefit?
Working with the NHSC, your community will have the opportunity
- Post vacancies and site profiles on the NHSC Web site
- Receive referrals of clinicians seeking employment in your area
- Develop linkages to academic institutions and other organizations
- Receive community and site development assistance
- Network with other NHSC sites
- Gain access to academic resources and network with State and
regional organizations through the NHSC Student/Resident Experiences
And Rotations in Community Health program
Some of the clinicians that we recruit are obligated to serve in
community-based systems of care in return for scholarship or loan
repayment support. Many NHSC clinicians remain in underserved communities
after fulfilling their NHSC service commitments.
So take the next step! Call us at 1-800-221-9393
Complexity and Compassion Inspire Medical Director
in Washington State
When one of his favorite patients died young from viral cardiomyopathy,
Malcolm Butler, M.D., was moved to write down his thoughts in an essay.
“Jose was a friend of mine. Not the type you go out
after work with, but the type that brought a smile to your face when you walked
into the room,” Butler wrote. “But he had gone. It was his time.
His baby had just turned two, and he had made it into the new millennium, and
his 27th year.” Read more