From: Barros, Colleen (NIH/OD) [E]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 3:47 PM
To: NIH-STAFF@LIST.NIH.GOV
Subject: NEW DEPARTMENTAL PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL SYSTEM
MEMORANDUM TO ALL NIH EMPLOYEES

SUBJECT: NEW DEPARTMENTAL PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL SYSTEM

FROM: Deputy Director for Management, NIH

This is to provide additional information regarding the email you received on March 8 from HHS Deputy Secretary Alex Azar on the new HHS Performance Management Appraisal Program (PMAP), attached. As that email indicates, the department is now shifting to a performance program impacting all HHS Operating Divisions. This new program covers General Schedule, Wage Grade, and Title 42 employees. NIH is scheduled to place these covered employees on new performance plans no later than June 30, 2006, though many employees have already begun preparing plans. To assist with this process, the NIH will provide briefings and mandatory on-line training, described in the attachment. Additionally, the ICs have identified Performance Liaisons, who will facilitate implementation within ICs. The NIH performance website http://hr.od.nih.gov/PerfMgmt/default.htm includes the list of Performance Liaisons for each Institute and other topical information. It will be updated frequently during the next few months.

This is an important endeavor, which complements our efforts to meet NIH goals and objectives for excellence in medical research leading to improvements in our nation’s health. Each of you has a role in the successful implementation of this program. We thank you for your continued focus on results of the highest quality, and for your support of the new program.

Sign language interpreters will be provided. Individuals with disabilities who need reasonable accommodation to participate in these briefings should contact (Nikon Samuel in Building 1 Room 102,301-496-3271, TTY number and/or the Federal TTY Relay number (1-800-877-8339), and Samueln@od.nih.gov).

/S/

Date: *April 18, 2006
*To be web cast and archived
Time: 10 am-12 noon
Location: Bldg. 10 Masur Auditorium

SUPERVISORS/MANAGERS
Briefing
(Repeats the April 18 briefing)
Optional attendance

Date: April 28, 2006
Time: 10am-12 noon
Location: Bldg.10, Masur Auditorium

ALL STAFF
On-line web–based training
Mandatory participation

Date: To be made available by HHS
(anticipated by April-May)

Supervisors/Managers
*Supervisory Q and A briefing session
Subject: Follow-up to on-line training
Optional Attendance
Date: *May 1, 2006
* To be web cast and archived
Time: 10am-12 noon
Location: Bldg, 31, Room 6C10

Employee Q and A briefing session
Optional Attendance

Date: *May 11, 2006
* To be web cast and archived
Time: 10 am-12 noon
Location: Bldg. 31, Room 6C10

EMPLOYEES
Employee Q and A briefing session
(Repeats the May 11th Q and A Briefing Session)
Subject: Follow-up to on-time training
Optional Attendance

Date: May 16th, 2006
Time: 10 am-12 noon
Location: 6001 Executive Blvd, (Neuroscience Center), Rooms C & D