How to Apply for the First Time (In Person)
|YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON IF:|
Before You Start, Please Note:
- Special Requirements for All Minors Under Age 16
- Special Requirements for All Minors Ages 16 & 17
- Special Requirements for Diplomatic, Official, & Regular No-Fee Passports
Read and understand Steps 1-5 before leaving this page.
STEP 1: Complete and Submit Form DS-11: Application For A U.S. Passport
Complete Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport. To submit Form DS-11, you:
STEP 2: Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
When applying for a U.S. passport in person, evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted with Form DS-11. All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you. These documents will be delivered with your newly issued U.S. passport or in a separate mailing.
|Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):|
*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.
NOTE: If you do not have primary evidence of U.S. citizenship or your U.S. birth certificate does not meet the requirements, please see Secondary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship.
STEP 3: Present Identification
When applying for a U.S. passport in person, acceptable identification must be presented at the time of application.
|Primary Identification (One of the following):|
NOTE: If you do not have primary identification, please see Secondary Identification.
STEP 4: Pay the Applicable Fee
Please see Current Passport Fees and methods of payment.
STEP 5: Provide Two Passport Photos
We can help you submit clear and correctly exposed passport photos the first time - especially when applying for the U.S. Passport Card. See Quality Requirements for Passport Book & Passport Card Photographs to avoid photo processing delays.
Your Photographs Must Be:
- In color
- 2 x 2 inches in size
- Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
- Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Taken in normal street attire:
- Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture
- Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)
- Vending machine photos are not generally acceptable
- See Digitized Passport Photos for information on acceptable digital photos
- Professional photographers see Guidelines for Producing High Quality Photographs for U.S. Travel Documents
NEED A U.S. PASSPORT IMMEDIATELY?
You should make an appointment to be seen at a Regional Passport Agency only if:
- The U.S. passport is needed in less than 2 weeks for international travel
- The U.S. passport is needed within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa
Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency.