Lost or Stolen Passports
In order to protect yourself from identity fraud it is important to report a lost or stolen valid passport immediately!
For Lost or stolen passports Overseas, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate
How to Report and Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport in the U.S.
There are two steps required to get a new passport. First, you must report your valid passport lost or stolen immediately. This is required of anyone who loses or has a passport stolen. The second step is to replace your passport. Both steps and forms required are described below.To Report a Lost or Stolen Passport:
Complete Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport, Form DS-64
- Fill in as much of the passport information as you can.
- Answer all the other questions in detail.
- Sign and submit above Form DS-64, Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport, to:
U.S. Department of State
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036
Or call us toll free at: 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793)
Operators are available 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., ET, Monday-Friday, excluding Federal holidays.
- If your still valid passport was lost or stolen, please submit the DS-64 form with the DS-11 application when you apply for a replacement at a Passport Agency or Acceptance Facility. NOTE: You must appear in person.
- The information you provide on the DS-64, Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport will be entered in our Consular Lost/Stolen Passport System.
- Passports reported lost or stolen are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.
- If you recover the passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, please submit it to the address listed above. When you submit it, if requested - we will cancel it and return it to you. If not requested, it will be destroyed.
- Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be re-validated.
To Replace a Lost or Stolen Valid Passport:
Complete Application for Passport, Form DS-11
Complete Question #18 as follows:
- Write your name as it appeared in your passport.
- Write the approximate date of issue.
- Include the passport number if known.
- Under "DISPOSITION", mark the appropriate box.
- If your passport was expired, write "EXPIRED" next to the "OTHER" box.
Submit your form:
- To a passport acceptance facility.
- You will also need photos, documentation and fees. See How to Apply in Person.
NOTE: If you travel extensively, you may request a larger, 48-page passport at no additional cost. To do so, please attach a signed request for a 48-page passport to your application.