Department of Health and Human Services logo  skip banner navigation
 Site Index  
 Contact Us  
   Home   |   Services   |   Working with ACF   |   Policy/Planning   |   About ACF   |   ACF News  Search  
Administration for Children and Families US Department of Health and Human Services
ACF Questions and Answers Support
Questions and Answers Support Home
Ask a Question
 My Questions and Answers 
  hide accessible links  
 Select a Category See a list of all Categories and Sub-Categories
  Search Tips? 

    Powered by RightNow Technologies
  Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Fraud Waste, and Abuse
  Date Created  
06/29/2005 07:23 AM
  Last Updated  
07/26/2005 01:03 PM

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  How do I report fraud and abuse in a grant funded by the Department of Health and Human Services?

How do I report fraud and abuse in a grant funded by the Department of Health and Human Services?


To insure that grant funds are spent as intended, Department employees, grantees, and members of the general public should report any irregularities, such as


Furnishing false credentials in grant applications;

Providing inducements to influence the grant decision;

Failure to perform the work specified in the grant award;

Failure to establish necessary fiscal controls on grant money;

Reporting false results on the work specified in the grant award;

Theft of grant money, or of property purchased with grant money;

Using grant money for any purpose other than that specified in the grant award.


Depending on the severity of the malfeasance involved and the depth of your personal knowledge of the facts, you may want to report the infraction to the grants officer for the particular grant.  This individual is usually identified as the contact person in any official announcements regarding the grant.  You should pursue this option to report infractions that are primarily technical in nature, or to clarify provisions of a grant.  Similarly, you may want to contact the Department agency that awarded the grant.  For example, if the grant was issued by the Administration for Children and Families, you many want to contact the Office of Financial Services.


If, however, you do not know how to contact the grant officer, or you suspect that the official administering the grant to be involved in the fraud, or you suspect that the infractions involve serious criminal activity, you can report the fraud directly to the Office of Inspector General [link to “How can I report fraud, waste and abuse?”] 

Extremely Helpful Very Helpful Somewhat Helpful Slightly Helpful Not Helpful   
  Related Answers
Back to Search Results
  Back to Search Results