Department of Health and Human Services logo  skip banner navigation
 Site Index  
 Contact Us  
   Home   |   Services   |   Working with ACF   |   Policy/Planning   |   About ACF   |   ACF News  Search  
Administration for Children and Families US Department of Health and Human Services
ACF Questions and Answers Support
Questions and Answers Support Home
Ask a Question
 My Questions and Answers 
  hide accessible links  
 Select a Category See a list of all Categories and Sub-Categories
  Search Tips? 

    Powered by RightNow Technologies
  Answer ID  
  Select a Category  
  Child Support
  Date Created  
10/05/2000 01:17 PM
  Last Updated  
03/19/2008 09:51 AM

 Printer Friendly Version of This Answer  Print Answer

 Email This Answer  Email Answer
  How do I get a support order?
  I don't have a court order. Can the Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Program help me?
  You can work with your state or local CSE office to try to establish a child support order. State websites usually give addresses and telephone numbers for local offices. Links to the state CSE websites are at:

The CSE agency will need to find out if paternity has been established and if you know where the other parent lives and works.

If paternity has not been established, the CSE agency can help with that. For more information on establishing paternity:*&p_li=&p_topview=1

For information about some of the benefits of establishing paternity:*&p_li=&p_topview=1

If you don't know where the person lives or works, a caseworker can use state and Federal locate information to try to find him or her. For information about: locating a person for child support:*&p_li=&p_topview=1

The support order will include the amount of money that the parent should provide, and it will include provision for medical support. The order will be based on state guidelines for support orders. To find information about how child support orders are decided:*&p_li=&p_topview=1If the parent lives in another state, and has not lived in your state, the CSE agency may have to ask the state where he or she lives to establish the order.

If there is not enough information to identify the parent, the CSE agency may not be able to establish an order. Give your caseworker as much as you can of: his/her full name; where and when he/she was born, and what his/her parents' names are. Your case worker may be able to find the Social Security Number which is an important tool for finding someone.

Your CSE agency is the best source of information about state laws and practices and about your case. If the website does not tell you what you need to know, you can call the State CSE agency to ask where your local office is. State CSE agency telephone numbers and addresses are at: (Spanish)

For general information about the Child Support program:*&p_li=&p_topview=1

For information about state programs:*&p_li=&p_topview=1
Extremely Helpful Very Helpful Somewhat Helpful Slightly Helpful Not Helpful   
  Related Answers
Back to Search Results
  Back to Search Results