Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:35:06 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: MELODIYA DISCOGRAPHY - was Medtner playing his 3rd Piano
              Concerto

Michael Biel wrote: > Look, I don't want to ruffle some feathers, but we need to set the > record straight. > Dave Lewis was correct in saying "MK stands for Mezhdunarodnaya Kniga" > but that is where it ends. That translates to International Books, and > as I posted before, MK is the EXPORT AGENCY for books, records, and > philatelic postage stamps. > The book publishers published > books and MK decided which ones to export and which ones not to export. > The record company run by the Ministry of Culture published records and > MK decided which ones to export and which ones to not export. Please forgive the snips, but your extensive and authoritative post opens only one question for me: Did MK have a role in the variant versions offered in the USSR and for export? There are several operas in which a major role, often the title role, was dubbed by different artists for domestic and foreign sale. It seemed to me that someone - perhaps MK - decided in 1948 to keep Reizen a secret, so had Boris's part redone by Pirogov for foreign release in 1949. Mike -- [log in to unmask] http://www.mrichter.com/