Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:20:57 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Rob Poretti <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Suggestions needed re: crashed disk drive recovery
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Richard, There are folks in the Toronto area that can take a drive a part, put it on a custom spindle and pull data from it. Very costly to do. If the drive surface damage is severe, it can still be pulled off but then it gets astronomical because it is time intensive and the hourly rate... I'd be afraid to ask what it is.... Sorry, no names - it was a while ago that I used one of these services... I'm feelin' ya.... good luck! _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ Rob Poretti Sales Engineer - Archiving Cube-Tec North America Vox.905.827.0741 Fax.905.901.9996 Cel.905-510.6785 _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Jacobs Sent: December 17, 2008 10:01 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Suggestions needed re: crashed disk drive recovery Hello Richard, If the "crash" was induced by HDD data corruption (ie. the index/TOC), and is in a PC format like FAT or NTFS, I have had very good success with GetDataBack: http://www.runtime.org/ If the crash is due to a mechanical failure of the head or drive mechanism, then indeed, you are looking at $3,000 - if they can get anything at all. If the HDD is formatted for use with the Mac OS or some other flavor of UNIX, I'm not sure what the appropriate tool would be for repairing the index/TOC (if that's the problem). Eric Jacobs The Audio Archive, Inc. tel: 408.221.2128 fax: 408.549.9867 mailto:[log in to unmask] http://www.TheAudioArchive.com Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:18 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [ARSCLIST] Suggestions needed re: crashed disk drive recovery First of all, sorry for the cross-posting... I am beside myself. A non-profit heritage site that I'm peripherally involved with has had a disk crash and they then found out that their backup system has not been working for three years...although it was religiously taken off-site daily for three years! I had nothing to do with it, but one person/firm basically told them to forget about the recovery-that they were likely to get only a few percent at best--and if anything was retreived they'd owe the full fee of $3000. I'm hoping to have a meeting with some of the people who know something about the system and the problem right after Christmas and the key piece of information I need to help them is a short list of drive recovery vendors, especially in Canada. I suspect that no one on these lists have had any first-hand experience with the need for this...you're all too careful about backups, and that is fortunate!!! But maybe you helped someone with their laptop, etc. I can do a Google search, but I'm hoping that someone knows someone who has had data recovered (or attempted it) from a crashed hard drive and can provide an informed perspective about the process before we dump kilobucks on it. If you've had recovery from a crashed RAID set, I'd like to hear about that as well, as I don't think it's a RAID set, but it could be. The more info I have going into this, the better. It's probably better if you respond directly to me at mailto:[log in to unmask] and I can write a summary piece to post back--if you'd prefer to be confidential, please let me know. Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays!!! Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.