Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 4 Dec 2008 01:23:22 -0000
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Steve Abrams <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: "Difference Track"

To help with the original question, Adobe Audition has a feature, "Spectral Pan Display" a graphical representation of panning between stereo channels. (can be used instead of the standard waveform graphical representation) Signal present on both channels appears in the center, while signals stronger on one channel or another appear closer to the top (left) or bottom (right) of the display. You can then use their graphical editing tools to select either information similar to both channels or the information unique to one channel or to the other to process or delete. This could be useful for stereo recordings of mono sound discs. Grove damage to a single channel / groove wall will only appear to the outside edge of this graphical tool and can easily be taken out. Same for grove noise. I have some mono tapes recorded over in stereo where the original recording is faintly audible in the part of the tape that was not erased. The technique you discribe might facilitate the separation of this information from the new recording. I can imagine this being of special importance in forensics. Steve Abrams ____________________________________________________________________________ I do not know your needs for these files but if your weren't already going to, I will suggest to also keep your original stereo file. Regardless of which software tool or trick you use to create your mono derivative. These tools still cause distortion, and the tools and processors are continuing to get better, so while you may be able to create a derivative mono file now that may be good enough for your needs, the derivative file you create two years from now from the same digital stereo source is only going to be better, plus digital storage is relatively cheap. Hope this helps. Tony Tadey On 11/21/08 11:10 PM, "Garr Norick" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Hello, > > I have read that when mono recordings (such as Records and Cassettes) are > Digitized in stereo, using stereo playback equipment, there is a "Difference > Track"... i.e., on a digitized recording that originated from a cassette being > played on a stereo deck, that one of the resulting channels will usually have > a great deal more tape hiss, and lower fidelity, than the other... I have also > read that certain digital recording/editing/restoration software (namely Adobe > Audition, and Diamond Cut Pro) can find and eliminate this track, presumably > by finding and eliminating any frequencies that are not common to the two > channels... I have Diamond Cut Pro... is there anyone here who is familiar > with Diamond Cut Pro, and can tell me how to use this function in the > software? Thanks in advance.