Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:17:23 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Jerome Hartke <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: water damaged cds

100 degF alone should not degrade DVD discs. However, both DVD's and oil are organic materials and could interact. Chemical reactions are usually accelerated by higher temperatures. Jerry Media Sciences, Inc. > -----Original Message----- > From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask] > Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 3:09 PM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] water damaged cds > > Dave: > > In one of the posts, Joe indicated that he had tested DVD's in "room > temperature" water. In general, I'm assuming that means somewhere in the > 68 > to 72 degree range. I was in New Orleans a week before the hurricane and > temperatures were nearing 100 degrees during part of the day. With no air > conditioning, after the hurricane, actual exposure temperatures could > easily > reach into the 90's or higher. > > As for contamination: salt, sewage and chlorine are known to accelerate > decay in magnetic tape. I haven't read any research, however, on which > particular chemicals are most likely to damage the glue layer on DVD's and > penetrate the discs. Interestingly enough, MP and ME tape recovered from > the flood waters that show obvious contamination from oil, are showing > less > immediate chemical decay than those exposed only to salt or sewage > contaminated water. > > Peter Brothers > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List > > [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Dave Bradley > > Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 9:36 PM > > To: [log in to unmask] > > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] water damaged cds > > > > > > >While I have not examined any of these discs, it appears that > submersion > > >in contaminated water at elevated temperatures can damage some DVD's. > > > > I'm curious about what you mean by "elevated temperatures" ? > > > > Meanwhile, remember that the contamination in the water is > > sewage, as well > > as chemicals for treating it that were washed out of the treatment > plants > > with the sewage, as well as petroleum based chemicals (which will do a > > number on the plastics on an optical disc). That's GOT to be > > rough on the > > DVDs. > > > > > > > > ----------------- > > Diamond Productions > > Specializing in analog tape & film preservation / restoration in the > > digital domain. > > Dave Bradley President > > > >